Chapter 20: Mysterious

"Okay, so it came from someone in the fire nation. How are we still supposed to trace that?" Asami asked, caressing the bridge of her nose.

Korra's eyes lit up, finally remembering something that she should've done something about a few days ago. It completely slipped out of her mind, and she felt bad about it.

"Wait, I think I know someone who could probably help us. But I don't know if she's doing good or not." Korra suggested, earning three pairs of eyes staring at her. Korra blinked, understanding that the silence might be a signal for her to continue.

"T-This girl I met in the fire nation. Well I didn't actually found out what happened to her before I left, but it seemed bad." Korra said, shooting a glance at Asami. The heiress raised an eyebrow. Ah, that girl. She thought.

"S-She left me a note, about how she wished we could spend more time as friends. But her note was incomplete, like she was forced to leave while still writing. And then some guy ran up to me and said she was taken away. Her father, s-she told me about her father being a fire bender. I don't know, judging by her tone, her father must be involved with a gang or something. They took her away, she was somewhat like Katara being the only waterbender in the village or something. Wait, oh my god, I need to help her." Korra said, already pacing back and forth and panic was already visible in her tone.

Asami touched her arm. "Hey, calm down." Korra looked at her. "Y-You don't understand. The way she told me about her father, it sounded pretty bad and—"

"Korra! Just calm down." Asami said grabbing both Korra's hands.

"Okay kid. So... This girl you are talking about is in danger. And you want rescue her. How's that gonna solve your problem?" Lin asked, crossing her arms. The avatar shoot her a look that is a combination of shock and disgust.

"Well even if it didn't I am the avatar. It's my duty to help people in trouble right?" Korra sarcastically.

"Yeah, well maybe this girl will be willing to help us out if we help her chief." Mako said. Lin stared at all of them for a few moments, and Korra was just glaring at her with her expression hard. Then Lin sighed. "Fine. We go first thing in the morning tomorrow. 8:00am, we'll use Oogie." The chief said before leaving the three alone. Korra's expression softened, and worry became visible on her eyes. The heiress eyed her carefully, but she knew the girl was just Korra's friend. She shouldn't be bothered by that by now, she should trust her girlfriend.

They're already girlfriends aren't they?

When the two ladies arrived back at the Air Temple, Korra went straight to her room and started ruffling through her things. Asami was just trailing behind her. She just watched Korra for a few seconds before speaking. "What are you doing?" Asami said as she silently approached the panicking avatar. "Korra." She said again.

"I'm looking for the note she left. Ugh, where the ever-loving hell was that?" She said as she continued to throw all her things at the ground and still haven't found the tiny piece of paper.

Korra face palmed as she took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. Asami approached the smaller woman and caressed her arms. "Hey, it's okay. We'll find her." She said as she wrapped her arms around Korra's body from behind.

The avatar turned and catches her eyes, and she smiled as she returned the hug. When they parted, they both sat at Korra's bed. "Her name's Zaya." Korra said. The heiress didn't say anything, indicating for her to continue. "There's nothing going on between us, I was just comforting her because she's crying in her sleep." Korra continued.

"What happened to her?" Asami said, listening intently.

"I-I don't know. All I know is that her father is a firebender and when her mother disappeared, he didn't want to talk about it." Korra said, sighing. Asami nodded. "So, that's what you mean by she was like Katara and all?" She asked. "Yes. When she saw me waterbending, she literally tensed. Something's going on." Korra said, furrowing her eyebrows.

Asami formed a small smile, "Hey, we'll find out tomorrow. You should probably rest. You'll need your energy." The heiress said as she stood up. But before she made a step, Korra grabbed her wrist. "Wait." Asami looked at her, confused.

"W-Want to stay over?" Korra said shyly, not even glancing at the heiress' eyes. Asami smirked. "Sure." Korra shifted in her bed, making a room for Asami to squeeze in.

*****

Korra and Asami were just waiting for Mako, Bolin, and Lin to arrive. Yes, Bolin insisted to come of course. The two women already told Tenzin and the others about the whole thing going on, including rescuing the girl she met, if she ever really need rescue. A few moments later, the three arrived.

"Perfect. You're already prepared. Let's go." Lin said as she swung straight to Oogie's saddle. "Hey, avatar." Bolin said as he pulled Korra for a hug. And then hugged Asami next. "Hey, Bo. Thanks for coming." Korra said as she softly smiled.

The group began their journey to the small village in the Fire Nation. Korra tried her best to clear her mind, but her thoughts were full of worst case scenarios. Her grip on Oogie's rope tightened as her anger grew inside her.

The hundred year war was over, who would have interest in waterbenders living in the Fire Nation? The heiress noticed Korra's silence, and as she noticed Korra's knuckles turned white because of her tight grip, she carefully stood up and joined her.

"Hey." Asami said as she touched Korra's hand. The heiress immediately felt Korra relax a bit because of the contact. She was met by Korra's worried eyes. Asami didn't know what to say, so she just smiled at her and laced her hand with Korra's, giving it a little squeeze for reassurance.

A few hours later, they landed on a vacant lot not too far away from the village. Lin insisted not to let the people see their ride back in case they needed to flee unnoticed. When they joined the crowd in the village's market and they didn't seem suspicious enough, Korra sprinted to Zaya's house. The four trailing behind her. "Zaya!" Korra screamed as she burst out of the door, only to find the house neat. The furnitures were properly aligned, and the she was greeted by the same sweet smell when she first stepped foot on this house. A small smile creeped on Korra's lips as a tiny hope of Zaya being safe crossed her mind.

But that thought quickly faded away when a familiar guy comes out from the kitchen, only to find the avatar and a few friends staring at him. Korra narrowed her eyes. "Where's Zaya?" She said, eyeing him carefully.

The man swallowed as he shifted uncomfortably. "A-Avatar Korra, I didn't think you'd come back." He said nervously. Korra stepped closer to him threateningly, "You.. tell me where she is now." Korra said, her expression hard.

The man met her eyes, as he shifted his gaze toward the friends Korra had brought. Mako frowned at him, as if having a slight suspicious thought about how the man is eyeing them. Mako met his stern gaze, finally realizing he is not the one to be trusted. But before he could warn the others, the guy stepped back, a massive wave of fire threatening to envelop them.

*****

Hey guys. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'm so sorry for cliffhanger 😂😂 Anyways, what do you think is going on with the whole Zaya thing? Wanna hear your thoughts. Comment below 👇🏼👇🏼😆😆