Chapter One - Apogee not Apology Award

"Tony Stark. Visionary. Genius. American Patriot."

Rebecca rolled her eyes. She was sitting at a table that was draped in white, wine glass in hand. It was almost twenty years since the trio had graduated and now, in Caesar's Palace, Tony was being recognized for his 'genius intellect' as usual.

At 21, Stark's parents died and he became the CEO of Stark Industries. His grief pushed him into his work and soon enough the company was the leading weapons manufacturer in the world. You couldn't go anywhere without someone knowing who he was, what he did, and what power he had.

On the other hand, in spite of Tony, T.H.E. One a company partnered with Stark Industries had slowly worked on modifying crops with genetic engineering and hydroponics to feed those whose homes might have been blown up by Mr. Obnoxious. Leader of T.H.E. One, also known as Tate Hydroponic Engineering One, was the less well known, but still up there Rebecca Tate who was still parenting Tony and keeping him out of trouble.

Beside her was an empty chair where Mr. Stark was supposed to be, and beside that another chair, but this one was filled by Obidiah Stane. God, how she hated that man. He was in a navy suit, looking composed and almost invincible. His slowly turning white beard went up his chin and stopped at his ears, head bald. Rebecca had always felt that he was up to something, the tone of his voice, the way he could get Tony to do things he wouldn't normally agree with.

But, that was why she was there, to make sure that Stark Industries didn't destroy the world. Her mocha waves flowed down her shoulders as she found the will to continue listening to the god awful award ceremony.

"Even from an early age, the son of legendary weapons developer Howard Stark quickly stole the spotlight with his brilliant and unique mind. At age four, he built his first circuit board."

Photos of the covers of magazine flashed on the screens in front of her. Tonight, Colonel Rhodes, was to present Tony with a luxurious Apogee award. Unfortunately, Tony was too busy playing craps to show up. The room was filled with tension as the other nominees and guests waited for the narration to stop and Stark to walk on to the stage and receive his award.

"At age six, his first engine. And at 17, he graduated summa cum laude from MIT."

She had to suppress a choke. Rebecca had forgotten how many facts had been blown out of proportion and that no one ever bothered to correct people. If she had wanted to, she could have yelled out that he actually graduated at 19, MIT doesn't rank students, and that they had forgotten how she graduated at 18, but like always she played her part in the game and stayed quiet. What would the world think if they knew he wasn't the youngest to get two masters degrees and leave MIT?

"Then, the passing of a titan. Howard Stark's lifelong friend and ally, Obidiah Stane, steps in to help fill the gap left by the legendary founder. Until, at age 21, the prodigal son returns and is anointed the new CEO of Stark Industries."

The room began to clap and she did too, throwing a fake smile in Obidiah's direction.

"Tony ushers in a new era for his father's legacy. Creating smarter weapons, advanced robotics, satellite targeting. Today, Tony has changed the face of the weapons industry by ensuring freedom and protecting America and her interests around the globe."

Once again, clapping started and ended as Rhodey took the stage. Rebecca grinned. It was nice knowing that after all this time the group was still together and going strong. In a simple purple top and white skirt, she felt underdressed compared to all the suits and gowns. For heaven's sake Rhodey had all his air force medals gleaming and what did she have, nothing.