The girl had black glossy iris that swallowed every smudge of white. She was bruised but it did not look like she had been beaten or bashed, it was like the inside of her skin was bleeding. For a second the air felt chilled and Evelynn inhaled a sharp gasp. She was probably not much older than Evelynn was, but the energy that fizzled off her body felt like she was standing next to an open flame.

The girl watched her silently, her lips curling into a frown and her brows knotted, confused that Evelynn was not set in chains with her. Confused as to why Evelynn wasn’t on her hands and knees, digging through the mess too. In a flash it almost looked like hope pinched her, before cold harsh reality snapped at her back with a leather whip. The girl snarled bearing her sharpened teeth before she went back to work.

As Evelynn stepped away, she felt a tear run down her cheek.

Sebastian was towering over the top of the Merchant, his icy white stare hardening the more the Merchant mumbled and tripped over his words.

Giving up he abruptly turned his back and walked into the silent dead village. Despite the wailing of lost loved ones, the people were quiet. There was an unbearable weight of despair, and as time ticked on, the truth of their massacre built layer upon layer of deepening grief.

As he marched through, noticing how people, women, children and men were all slain either outside their front doors, or some even crossing the street, it made him wonder who would do such a thing.

Evelynn was trying to catch up from behind, but the sight of it was slowly overwhelming her. Sebastian noticed how she kept her head high, looking even though every muscle in her face tightened with horror.

“Look away -” He finally muttered, by which Evelynn shook her head in refusal.

He asked some villagers where the mage Simona lived and was directed to a small house just near one of the bridges.

As he reached the front door Sebastian didn’t bother knocking. It was left ajar, just a crack of darkness revealed behind the wooden plank.

He opened the door fully as Evelynn looked over his shoulder. All the lights were off, the furniture undisturbed which gave Sebastian a touch of relief. Maybe they weren’t home? Maybe they escaped?

It was Evelynn’s scream that made him turn. Under the bridge, floating face down in the water were three bodies. One was an older woman and two younger men, obviously her sons.

As Sebastian had never seen Simona before, he could not determine that was her under the tide. He went further into the house, calling her name when he came to a letter left on the kitchen table. It was Donnic’s hand written note, addressing the reader as, Dearest Sister Simona- I need your help.

The sickening twist of rage wrapped Sebastian’s gut. He did not care that he couldn’t get the map to find Crude, nor did he care that his weapon will be left bare. His mouth flooded with saliva as his teeth clenched. If only I were here – I could’ve done something. If only we hadn’t stopped for that – bloody stupid village – I couldn’t saved them!

“Sebastian?” Evelynn whispered from the door frame in her quiet sad voice. “I am so sor-”

“DON!” Sebastian roared, “DON YOU DARE!”

She flinched as he reached forward, taking a hold of her collar and shaking her, “This is your fault! If we were ‘ere last night, like we were meant to be, then we could’ve saved ‘em. This is what you get for being selfish – this little game of makin’ friends has cost my Godfather his sister. You are a cross child without magic, what good are you then? Just a waste of air! This village burned because of you! Get out! GET OUT!” He shoved her so hard that she was thrown onto her back out on the front porch.