Chapter Thirty: So sick of complacency now

Start from the beginning

Idolaf's face hardened again and he looked sternly at her. "That little boy grew up and learned that sentiment and nostalgia do not mix with politics. And I pray to the Eight that you figure that out."

Lydia rolled her eyes but before she could respond, Afhild stormed in. "What's going on here?" she asked. "Lydia, did you hit my father?"

"No," she said. "I got between him and Fralia and told him to back off. When he didn't, I physically turned him around and shoved him away."

Afhild just stood there stunned, her eyes angrily looking back and forth between her best friend and her husband. Finally, she clenched her teeth and shouted, "Well better Lydia than Eorland! What were you two thinking, Idolaf?"

"She was harping on about Thorald. She wouldn't leave us alone!"

"Oh I have no doubt that Fralia Gray Mane forced two big Nord men into a shouting match." She pursed her lips and stared at him.

Idolaf had no response to this. "I'll see you at home," he said finally, turning once more to glare at Lydia before leaving.

After he left, Afhild sat down at the table and buried her face in her arms. "Look," said Lydia, "I'm sorry if—"

"Don't apologize," she replied as she pulled her head up. "I wasn't kidding when I said better you than Eorland. Or Vignar! Could you if imagine any of the Companions had heard that?"

Lydia actually had to stifle a giggle at the thought of Farkas tossing Olfrid across the market. She sat down on the bench. "So, will I ever be welcome in the Battle Born home again?"

"Oh you know how it goes. Mother would throw father out before she'd let you feel unwelcome." She laughed uncomfortably and put her face in her hands again. "What am I going to do about my family?" she groaned. "I don't even want to think about how much Jon is going to drink tonight. He takes this feud to heart in ways I will never understand."

"He's a poet," said Lydia. "He takes it to heart because that's where he feels it most."

"True," she agreed. Lydia squeezed her friend's arm, which made her smile a bit. "Anyway, by the time you get back from Riften, it will be as if nothing happened."

But it did happen, thought Lydia. The resentment and anger were growing and it was only going to get worse.

"I should go," said Afhild as she got up from the table. Lydia walked her to the door and gave her a brief hug. After she closed the door, she walked back and slumped down at the table, still sad and distracted and so she was startled when the door to the alchemy lab squeaked open. Elspeth was peering out from behind it, looking somewhat apprehensive.

"Oh!" said Lydia, "I didn't know you were in there."

"I was just working...." Her voice trailed off as she looked at Lydia. "That got really personal. Do you want to talk?"

"I want...." Lydia stopped and wiped away the tears that were forming. She looked at Elspeth intently. "I want to join the Stormcloaks."

"No you don't," said Elspeth. "You just want to hear Jarl Ulfric give passionate speeches—wait, no, that's me." She smiled sympathetically. "You just want to settle a score with Idolaf for reasons that are emotional and not political."

Lydia smiled weakly, but she still looked so dejected. "I just don't understand," she said. "I don't understand why it's so difficult for Idolaf to hold his support for the Imperials with the same grace and civility the Gray Manes have in their support of the Stormcloaks. He's always been confrontational and stubborn. But I've never seen him act so cruel." Lydia took a deep breath and continued. "He and Avulstein Gray-Mane were best friends growing up. Without the Gray Manes he would have turned out just like his father." She leaned forward and rested her chin on her fist. "His mother died giving birth to him and his father hated him for it," she explained. "Fralia looked after him and loved him as well as her own children."