Chapter THIRTY ONE

Start from the beginning

He kissed my forehead and his lips lingered as he whispered, "I love you."

"I love you too." I smiled and I knew with my whole heart that this was true but my stomach knotted as I realized I'd have to give up my New York dream to spend forever with him.

It was silent after that and I could feel his breathing even out into deep long breaths, telling me he was asleep. I could feel tears in my eyes at the thought of giving up on my dream but it was even worse when I thought about leaving Colin, for any length of time.

My eyes closed and I fell asleep with questions about my future.

Colin was watching me carefully as I packed up the last of my suitcase. His eyes were intense as they followed my every move, but I couldn't meet them. He'd be able to read the uncertainty in my eyes, he's probably already felt it.

"I'm going to go get a taxi," Colin told me as he kissed my cheek, carrying my luggage with him. I gave him a smile and he returned it with a small one of his own before leaving me with my roommates. I gave Jen and Violet a hug, promising to keep in touch over the year and vowing to get together next fall when we all returned.

Lor, Jess, Anna and I nearly cried as we said goodbye. I had the best time with them and I'd miss them like crazy.

"I'm coming to Minnesota asap." Jess promised, "I still need to meet this annoying cousin of Colin's." She winked. "You need to come visit me in Mass sometime." "

"Oh, I'm coming to Minnesota too." Anna grinned, "Lor is desperate to get out so she'll tag along."

Loretta laughed, "I've never left the state, so she's right."

"I'm going to miss you guys." Jess smiled sadly and then ushered us into a group hug again.

A knock on the door sent my heart into a flutter but it wasn't Colin.

"Nick!" We all shouted together.

"The gangs all here." Jess laughed and hugged him.

"I couldn't leave without saying goodbye to my favorite room." Nick chuckled as his eyes meet mine. I gave him a smile, which he returned. "Plans to hang out sometime?"

"We're all going to see Kat in Minnesota because, boys." Anna shrugged.

"Come, it'll be the Fab Five all over again. Taking over one city at a time." Lor pleaded her case.

"I'll think about it." He laughed and hugged Anna and then Lor, saving me for last. "It was fun, Kat."

I nodded, "You definitely made New York fun and unforgettable."

"You're going to have to come visit Maryland sometime. It would be fun to show you around D.C."

"All that history would be cool to see, I might actually take you up on that sometime."

Nick smirked, "Text me whenever and I'll set it up."

"I'm going to miss you." I laughed and hugged him quickly, the feeling of repulsion growing in my stomach and I knew that I'd never text him to go to D.C. Not if I couldn't bring Colin.

"I'm going to miss studying with you, back to doing it alone I guess." Nick shrugged pouting slightly.

"Same here." I told him with a nod, "Going to have to tutor my siblings though."

"Aw, life being smart is so hard." Jess groaned as she threw her arm over my shoulder. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out, hoping that Colin was coming back up.

"I gotta go or I'll miss my plane." I sighed as Colin's text told me he was ready whenever. "I'll see you guys later, text me." I hugged all of them again and then dashed out of the door, nearly running down the hall.