Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Monique got herself ready as fast as she could. She must have done something to really piss Daddy off this time; he never let her leave the house on the weekends. Looking over her limited wardrobe, she settled on a pair of tight black leggings, a black singlet with an old red and black chequered flannelette shirt that had belonged to her father. She tied the shirt under her bust and pulled on a pair of holey chucks. Her favourite shoes, yet another lucky opp shop find.  Walking down the hallway, Monique quickly pulled her damp hair into a long braid down her back; it would be a real pain to manage if she left it to dry loose.

Vic sat in his room, lining up another line of cocaine when he heard a soft knock on the door. “Yeah!” he called out as he snorted the white powder. “Daddy?” Monique poked her head over the threshold, “Anything special you want from the supermarket?” Vic watched his daughter carefully. “Come here,” he said softly and patted the spot on the bed next to him. Monique slowly walked over and sat on the spot her father had tapped. His eyes we’re noticeably dilated, she had no idea how much he had snorted his morning, but he’d obviously been drinking since sun-up. Vic lifted his hand and gently brushed his knuckles against Monique cheek. A smile lifted at the corner of his lips, “Hope,” he muttered as he placed a kiss on her forehead. Monique could help but furrow her bow, “No Dad, it me, Monique,” Vic watched her carefully, “My baby girl,” he whispered, “So grown up, you look just like your mother.” Monique couldn’t help a small smile; she didn’t really remember her mother well, just the pale and gaunt woman lying in a hospital bed. “She was so beautiful,” Vic continued, cupping Monique cheek, “We were so happy before she fell pregnant with you.” The smile on Monique’s face faded quickly, “I was so scared baby, I was only a kid,” A tear fell from Vic’s eye as his voice wavered. “You ruined everything.” Monique breath caught in her throated as she watched her father cry. No, that can’t be true, she remembered her mother’s words, like a prayer the repeated in her head, “You we’re the best thing to happen to me, I love you my baby butterfly,” No it was the drugs talking, Daddy didn’t really think that. Vic eye’s turned hard, “Go!” he shouted and dropped his hand, “I said go!” Monique didn’t see his hand before it struck her left cheek, making her face snap painfully to the side.

Hot tears stung the back of her eyelids as she cupped her face, rising to feet and running out of the room. It certainly wasn’t the first time he’d hit her, but every time it was like a stab to her heart. Without a look back, Monique ran out the front door, trying desperately to hold back the tears. The cool June breeze brushed against her burning cheek as she walked down the quiet street. Her money tucked away safely in her bust, she headed for the bus stop.

                                                                        -*-

“So, have you found your costume for my birthday?” Tyler asked Jack as he shoved another chip into his mouth, Jack shrugged, “I thought we could have a look around today?” Tyler nodded, he need to find his costume as well. He could feel the heat from Amber’s scowl from across the table, “Amber, what are you coming as? One of the Powderpuff girls?” Tyler smiled cheekily, Amber’s scowl deepened, she was still annoyed at Tyler for the way he had treated her last night. He was so confusing, hot one minute, cold the next! “No!” She snapped, “I was going to go as Poison Ivy, I thought it would work with your Batman plan,” She gave Tyler a sarcastic smile and looked back down at her lunch. A booming laugh came from Tyler, he clutched at his sides trying to control his eruption. Amber snapped her eyes up to Tyler, a murderous rage making her face turn almost the same colour as her fire head hair. “What is so funny!?” She barked, waiting for him to control himself. Tyler was gasping for air as he tried to come back to earth. “You know Jack is coming as Robin right?” he managed to speak through his fit of giggles, Amber’s face making the entire situation even more comical, “Of cause I do,” Amber scoffed. Tyler’s couldn’t help the jaw breaking smile on his face, “You know, in Batman and Robin, Robin and Poison Ivy make out, right?” The look of pure horror that flashed on to Amber’s face pushed him over the edge again, fits of laughter exploding from him made him almost topple from his chair.