Another cry escaped from her lips when she tried to push herself off the ground but she didn't give up. As Ron was getting backed against the wall, her movements only became more frantic. It was like a fawn trying to walk for the first time. Her movements were clumsy and she getting falling back down. 

If only I could find my wand, she was thinking to herself. Even if she did get up, what help would she be if she didn't have her wand. Panic continued to consumer her as she watched the events unfold. It was only a matter of time before the inevitable. 

Driven by the need to save her friend, she stumbled the few feet to where he wand had ended up. Sadly for her, Bellatrix was several steps ahead. Hermione was stunned before she had a spell in mind or lifted her wand. She was stuck. She couldn't move, couldn't talk. She was frozen in place as she watched the witch point her wand at Ron for a final time. 

Ron seemed to know what was happening because instead of trying to dodge the curse, he simply looked over at Hermione. Her heart sank in her chest and they stared at one another. No words needed to be exchanged. Ron nodded his head in her direction and offered a weak smile. She squeezed her eyes closed in response and prayed that he understood. 

As her eyes opened once more, she was sure her heart was going to explode because all she could hear was the thundering in her chest. She didn't even hear the words come out of Bellatrix's wand. Just saw the flash of green light. 

The curse hit Ron square in the chest. His body slumped against the wall. If she didn't know any better, it looked as though he was just asleep. Despite the blood and cuts, his face could almost be described as peaceful. 

She felt a moment of comfort knowing he was done fighting. Although, that was only a moment. In its place, she became consumed with the need for revenge. Finally finding her footing, Hermione went on the attack like she had never done before. 

She was mostly use to protecting herself and using simply spells to disarm or stop her opponents. This time, she was throwing every spell she knew could draw blood. 

Bellatrix must have noticed the change in Hermione because the smug grin was wiped away. With each spell Hermione cast, Bellatrix took a step back. Ron may not have been talented with a wand, but Hermione's was. And it was showing. 

Hermione duelled patiently. Bellatrix continued to grow frustrated that she was getting bested by the "nasty mudblood" and Hermione knew this would cause her to make a mistake eventually. 

When that mistake was made, Hermione wasted no time. It was a simple falter when Bellatrix steadied herself and that was all Hermione needed. 

"Sectumsempra," she screamed with as much force she could muster.

The spell had its intended effect. Deep lacerations appeared on the witch's chest and blood soaked the ground around her. With everyone too busy fighting their own battles, no one threw Bellatrix a second glance as she bled out on the floor. 

Hermione started running towards Ron's body and almost collided with Ginny. Ginny felt nothing but relief running into her friend. As a weight was lifted on her shoulders, it was clear to Hermione that she hadn't seen her brother's body yet.

Not knowing how to break the news, Hermione started to sob. All of the emotions she had been holding back were now coming out as she grieved the loss of Ron. Maybe Harry too, for all she knew.

Ginny didn't take long to realize what happened. The moment she did, the air was pierced with a blood curdling scream. That was now the second dead brother she'd seen today. It wasn't that Hermione didn't sympathize with her friend's pain, but she was too consumed in her own to notice.