We Have A Mission

I grab my backpack, stuffing books in so I can study at home. I turn around to find Chase Davenport standing behind me. I try walking around him.

"Mel, we need to talk. About lunch."

"You guys are all crazy." I say, slamming my locker door.

"No, seriously, Mellie. We all need to talk." Bree says. Her and Adam are standing behind Chase.

"I'm a genius, guys, and even I can't find a way to wrap my head around what Adam said. Capsules? Glitches? Are you guys aliens or something?"

"No! That's why we need to talk. And you need to talk to our dad." Chase says.

"No. I'm going home and studying. I have a quiz tomorrow. What kind of psycho teacher gives a quiz on the second day of school...." Chase grabs my arm.

"Mel. Please." He gives me a pleading look with his hazel/greenish eyes. I feel my stomach twist weird. No. I am a genius, I do not fall for boys. I do not. Do not. Do. Not.

"Fine."

****

We get to the Davenport's house.

"Big D! Adam screwed up at school today!" Leo calls.

"What did he do?" Mr. Davenport comes out from a room.

"You know what he did." Bree says, making a strange look.

"You did what?" Mr. Davenport says to Adam.

"He accidentally said some things about glitches and capsules to Mellie here." Chase says.

"At least I didn't say anything about our missions and bionics and stuff." Adam says. I feel my jaw drop.

"What? What did you say?" I shriek. "Bionics?" Chase puts a calm hand on my shoulder.

"Just let us explain." He says. I notice the calmness in his voice and take a deep breath.

"Okay. Explain."

"Mr. Davenport here invented chips that when put into humans, they become bionic, with different abilities. For example, Adam has super strength, Bree speed, and I smarts." I blink a few times while processing.

"Um, okay. Okay. This isn't weird. Not at all, no." Just then, there is a beeping noise. Chase looks down at his phone.

"We got a mission, guys. There's a small building about to collapse and there is 5 people trapped in it. Adam, you'll hold the remainder of the building up. I'll move the pieces that have already fallen." He sees my weird look and taps his brain. "With my mind. Bree, while Adam is holding the building up, you use super speed and get them out." They all run down the hallway, and I follow them. They all have sleek black suits on, and I can't help but notice it makes Chase's practically unnoticeable muscles a little bit noticeable.

"Come on guys. Let's go." Chase says. Mr. Davenport, Leo and I watch them through a TV screen. There's a blur of light as Bree runs, grabbing the people one at a time.

"Okay, Chase. I got them out. What do you want me to do now?"

"Nothing. Just stay out of the way."

"How long do I need to keep holding this?" Adam says.

"Just wait...." Chase says, moving a small piece of rubble. I see a piece from the part Adam is holding crack. It's going to fall.

"CHASE! That piece is going to fall! You and Adam have to get out of there!" I scream. Chase looks up. Adam runs out, but just as Chase is moving, a piece falls on him.

"Oh my god. Is he....dead?" I say, looking at Mr. Davenport.

"No. His vitals are still good." He looks at the little screen next to the tv, showing all of their vital signs. "Bree, get Chase out of there and back here ASA-" Theres a rush of light. "-P." Bree is carrying Chase piggy back style.

"Good thing he's so scrawny. He doesn't weigh much." She puts Chase down on a cot.

"Bree, Leo, Mellie you go upstairs and wait for Adam. Then stay up there until I call you back down."