xxiv | 𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘥

Start from the beginning

(y/n) looked at ray pitifully. emma told her about what ray has been doing. that ray has already told emma and the others that he's dropping out of the plan for the escape.

it's not like emma is gonna let him do that. nor does norman or me.

she remembers norman's letter for emma, though she never read it. for emma and norman's privacy.

as the girl observes ray, she noticed the dark bags under his eyes and that he seemed tired. she heaves a small sigh, "please take care of youself, ra-"

"how does it feel like?" ray asked all of a sudden.

(y/n) answered questionably, "feel what?"

but ray never continued his question. (y/n) also never asked anything as she's still waiting for ray's answer.

ray then shuffled on the bed, got down then quickly arranged the bedsheets. the girl watched all the while.

"aren't you scared? now that we're probably gonna be food soon," ray stated as he casually walked away from the bed, "you'll be alone." he finished, stopping midway then turning his look to the (h/c) haired girl.

in ray's surprise, didn't respond negatively. nor did she answer anything.

she was just smiling at him.

"let's go, i'll tell mama you feel better now," in a hurry, (y/n) stretched her arms outward then headed straight to the door, quickly opening it and leaving only ray inside the room.

ray followed her, but not with the same energy. he softly closed the door behind him before walking a few feet behind (y/n).

"where are you going?" (y/n) asked as she hears ray's footsteps behind her. "you should go play with the others, i bet everyone misses you."

the short walk was silent, she also noticed the footsteps slowly fading away. (y/n) wonders if ray stopped midway or he just made his way to the door that leads outside. she swiftly turned her heels around to confirm her thoughts.

and he's still there.

"silly boy," (y/n) showed ray her best act as a mama, trying to tease him in the process, "it's not like you're gonna lose me if you don't watch me right?"

ray, who only stared at her with a stoic expression, blew his hair to the side of his face then stuck his hands in his pocket. 

"geez, you're so silent, are you suddenly mute?" (y/n) looked around, trying to find someone who could save her from the boy's staring.

maybe emma didn't tell me about this? (y/n) thought, sighing and shaking her head.

"you worry too much. i'm a big girl now!" (y/n) pumped her fist, looking at ray with an unsure face, her lips curling into a smile.

"don't worry ray, i'll be okay," she says as she forces to show ray her signature courageous smile, then it turns to a grin, "see what i did there? ray? okay?"

(y/n) chuckles, softly hitting ray's shoulder in the process.

but the boy didn't react, well, maybe forced himself not to. for he tried so hard to hide the smile he has, not because of the joke, but because it reminded him of that time when (y/n) made the same joke.

you're still the same.

ray stifled a laugh before quickly clearing his throat.

"your jokes are so bad, it's funny." that was a lie. he doesn't want (y/n) to know though.

(y/n) responded, annoyed by ray's comment. but ray's mind drifted to another thought, as her voice grew smaller and smaller until it grew quiet.

she's not scared. ray thought as he watches her lock a strand of her hair behind her ear, her eyes glowing like a (e/c) gem.

as if time doesn't exist, ray stared at her like she'll disappear as soon as he blinks.

she's scarred.

"so, if you ever plan to be a caretaker, like a papa, and our world is free from demons," (y/n) giggles mischievously, "maybe we could work togeth-"

"i'll be at the study room if you need me," ray cuts (y/n) in the middle of speaking, waving and not looking at her.

(y/n), who lost the smile she has while speaking, tilted her head and stared at ray questionably, wondering if he's listening to her the whole time.

but he never looked back, he simply walked away as if nothing happened.

"but i was telling a story..." ray heard (y/n)'s faint voice in the distance.

no, i do not feel guilty. ray thought, fighting his desire to sneak another look to the girl.

× × ×

as soon as (y/n) told mama about ray's condition, she headed outside to find a certain girl.

"good afternoon, emma," (y/n) sat down under the shade of the tree beside emma.

emma stared at the (h/c) haired girl's view for a moment before speaking, "hey... i don't have to tell you about norman's plan, right?"

"yeah," was (y/n)'s short response, making herself comfortable and waving at the children who ran past them.

emma played with the little leaves around her, shuffling it into different directions. "then the only problem we have is stopping ray..." she states in a gloomy tone of voice.

the (h/c) haired girl only hummed in response, watching the kids play games she never knew.

emma did a good job at teaching the kids how to utilize the short time they had for training. with that, (y/n)'s trust for emma even grew stronger.

norman would be so proud. a little excitement sparked in (y/n)'s heart.

"(y/n) do you... also have a chip in your heart?" emma asked, her voice quivering.

the excitement she felt turns into horror as soon as she heard emma's question. (y/n) clutched the grass under her hands as she felt the cold wind give her goosebumps.

it was the same breeze as that night.

(y/n) recalls the night of norman's shipment.

"i don't."

in response, emma's lips curved into a small smile, "that's good to know."

× × ×

a/n:

hello :D

HAHASDXRFCTGVHSD wow surprise very unedited chapter yes that's my forte pls forgive me

i'm sorry for disappearing for so long. i had to recover bc the anime adaptation really did tpn dirty 😭 i told myself i don't want to abandon the fanfic, and so, here i am, trying to get myself interested again in the story (';ω;`) and if ppl said its okay to discontinue this, i just don't want to because i love my readers 🤧❤️

but, during my absence, i never forgot about the existence of this book. i made a lot of drawings about this fanfic, i'm excited to post everything soon! ( '◡‿ゝ◡')

also, i published a q&a + tags book for the readers who has some question abt me :3 i also interact with the readers there since i can't reply to every comments on this book (i'm sorry) QwQ

aight imma head out 🚶🏽‍♀️