Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

“Why did you do it, Colin? Why did you sell your daughter to monsters? Do you have any idea what they put her through?”

“She was well cared for. She seems healthy enough.” Nickolai growled low in his throat and took a step forward. Colin’s eyes widened with panic and he shoved Brie toward the edge of the roof.

“I’ll throw her off, Nickolai. You just need to turn and walk away. This is between my daughter and I. I’m taking her home to her pack.”

“You will not take my mate from me again. Her place is with me and my pack.” Nickolai warned, though he didn’t move any closer. The fall from the roof would not kill Brie but it could quite possibly break all the bones in her body and the pain would be unbearable. If there was any way to keep his Brie from tumbling over the roof than that was the path Nickolai wanted to take.

“Her place is with me! Her father!”

“You’re crazy.” Brie accused and Colin’s grip tightened painfully on her arm.

“I’ll kill her, Nickolai.” Colin warned and then he slid a long knife and placed it against Brie’s neck.

Brie fought hard to stay brave when what she wanted to do was cry. She felt the knife prick her skin. If her father cut her throat deep enough she would die. That was one guaranteed way to kill a werewolf.

She looked at Nickolai but his face was unreadable. He was the single bravest person that she knew. He was strong, stoic and never panicked. Never showed fear. She was jealous of him at times. She had always wished she could be more like him. She simply did not have that in her.

Nickolai knew he had to act fast if he was going to save Brie. He took a step back as if in retreat and then lunged forward. Colin cried out in shock, as the knife clattered to the ground and he jumped backward. Nickolai felt fear and panic fill him when Colin tripped over the edge and fell from the roof, taking Brie with him.

“BRIE!” Nickolai cried as he jumped to the edge and reached out just in time to grab Brie’s hand. Colin’s screams ended abruptly as his body landed with a dull thud on the ground far below them.

“Nickolai.” Brie sighed with relief as he lifted her with one hand back onto the roof and wrapped his arms tight around her.

“You caught me…” she gasped as she clung to him and buried her nose in his bare chest. Nickolai nodded as he buried his nose in her thick red curls.

“Of course I caught you.” he replied gruffly. He moved her to the side and leaned over the edge to see Colin’s broken body in the back courtyard that Nickolai and the pack had entered through. He could hear Colin gasping in pain and knew the man was alive but his bones were all broken so he couldn’t move.

“We have to get off the roof.” Nickolai stated as he moved back to Brie and wrapped his arm tight around her shoulders. There were no words to describe how relieved he was to have her back again. Never again would he let her out of his sight. Never again would he risk her being taken away from him. He couldn’t stand it if it were to happen yet again.

He led her over to his clothes and picked up his torn shirt. He helped Brie slide it on and a faint smile curved his lips when he saw the way it hung to her knees.

His pants were torn as well but he pulled them on and they covered the necessary areas.

“You never used to be shy.” Brie teased, leaning against him. Nickolai found himself smiling.

“I’m not but the alpha female is.” Nickolai walked to the ladder and he climbed onto it, going down several steps and then motioning for Brie to follow him.