Blueberry Lessons

INTRO:

My grandparents planted some blueberry bushes in their field probably 35-40 years ago.  I grew up picking blueberries every summer there, and learned a lot from getting the chance to be there with my family.  And i am trying to pass these lessons, and the art of picking blueberries, on to our children.  This is just a few of the lessons I learned along the way.  :)

WATCH YOUR STEP!

If you're not careful, grass can grow up pretty close to the base of the bushes, and lots of animals love blueberries!  So when you are picking, you have to make sure you don't step in an ant bed, or on a snake.  The same thing can happen to us in life. If you're so focused on the "blueberries" that you don't watch where you put your feet, you can get bit, either by the little things ("ants"), or the big ones ("snakes").

ONLY PICK THE RIPE ONES!

Make sure that you are picking the ripe blueberries.  The ones that are really ripe will almost fall into your hand when you touch them. If you have to pull too hard, it's probably not ready.  This is not to say that everything in  life is easy, but if you have to "pull" too hard, you may want to check and see if the situation is "ripe" or not!  It may not be quite time for you to do what it is you're trying to do.

ALTHOUGH SOMETIMES THE GREEN ONES FALL OFF, TOO!

On occasion, a green berry will fall off when you pick the ripe one. Its alright.  Toss it to the side and keep picking.  Just don't pick too many green ones, or you won't have any ripe blueberries later!  Don't be in such a rush that you "pick" all your opportunities for growth too early.  All things come to us in time.  And don't let a "green" one distract you from all the ripe ones in the bucket!

LEAVE SOME FOR SOMEONE ELSE!

Don't be a greedy gut and pick every berry on the bush!!  Lots of people and animals like blueberries, too. You have to share!!  I think this one is pretty self explanatory! ;)

ENJOY THE SUNSHINE, AND THE RAIN!

Blueberries only get ripe in the summer.  It can be a lot of fun to get out in the sunshine and enjoy the beautiful day. But it can get HOT, too!  Sometimes its nice to be out there picking berries in a gentle rain, letting it cool you off, and keep the bugs away.  And berries need both rain and sun to grow.  And so do we.  We have things to learn in both the fantastic, beautiful times in our lives, as well as in the storms.

EAT, DRINK, AND BE MERRY!

And once all the hard work of picking, and avoiding the ants and snakes, and getting bit by the mosquitoes and gnats, is done, ENJOY!  Make blueberry muffins, pancakes, pies, smoothies, and whatever goody you want!  (I even have a recipe for a homemade blueberry cheesecake ice cream that is delicious!) Share the bounty with those you love, and treasure the time you have.  Those moments will never be here again!

Thank you for letting me share with you!!

SM