"As little as I wish to speak ill of the dead, your uncle has again slipped in my estimation. Everyone knows the mark of a gentleman is the quality of his library. It will take time and investment on your part, but within the space of two or three generations you may amass a collection you can be proud of."

"Like yours at Meltham?"

Fielding smiled, saluting his friend's hit. The grand library at Meltham Park was a continued source of pride within his family. "Before you think about books, you will first need to invest in more material matters. I fear Sir George's lack of oversight has left Blackwood in a perilous state, and some of the repairs cannot wait upon the appointment of a new steward."

Mountford dropped into the chair recently vacated by the female visitor. "Of course. Tell me what must be done and I will arrange it."

He picked up a list from the desk, written in his own bold hand. "I have already set the most vital repairs in motion, and these are the tasks that will require attention very soon. I also received a report that a stream may be blocked in the woods to the south. If it proves true then that matter will need attending to as a matter of urgency, but all it requires from you is a willingness to open your pocketbook."

"I suppose there is no choice if Blackwood is to be returned to good order."

"Meanwhile, I believe your time would be better spent securing your position within the area. If you are to gain the respect of your neighbours you must make yourself available for their inspection. Even in an out of the way place like this the local gentry will wish to maintain the usual formalities."

"Cards have been arriving all day, and I've already had one visitor—Mr. Harrison whose land borders Blackwood to the east; an odd bird, but cheerful enough and very welcoming. Harrison invited me to dinner. He has two daughters he seemed particularly keen for me to meet."

"They always have daughters, or nieces, or female cousins. It seems we cannot avoid them, even here. Take care you do not find yourself priest-linked to the first female they introduce you to."

Mountford frowned. "It would be much easier to deal with these people if you were with me. There is no one better for depressing the pretensions of cits and mushrooms."

"You will find none of that sort here. Blackwood is surrounded by the most worthy class of our gentry who live upon the land passed to them by their grandfathers and great-grandfathers. None can boast great wealth or status—except perhaps the respect they confer among themselves—and I doubt whether any can claim truly useful connections, but I am sure they are pleasant enough. You can manage without me until I have found you a trustworthy man to husband your patrimony."

His friend leaned forward, tapping a frustrated finger upon the desk. "If I'd wanted to entertain myself I wouldn't have invited you here in the first place. You have been hiding in this dingy office for two days. The least you can do is to come out with me tomorrow morning to shoot a few birds"

Fielding raised his eyebrow, quelling his friend's lament. "As you asked so nicely, how can I refuse?"

Ignoring the sarcasm, Mountford nodded. "In that case I will leave you to your work and see you at dinner."

In the silence following Mountford's departure, Fielding's gaze drifted once more to the empty chair, and the memory of Miss Latimer's visit. A study of his visitor had revealed cheeks tinged pink and windblown hair, and the mud on her half-boots—glimpsed under her serviceable walking dress—could not have come from a simple stroll across a well-tended lawn. Racking his brain he could not bring to mind one instance when a female had attempted to catch his attention in such an outlandish fashion.

The Steward of Blackwood Hallजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें