Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

“Did you?” Tom said somehow fully aware of the situation.

“Ben wouldn't kill someone” Matt said from behind them, peeping through from Hal's wheelchair.

“I didn't dad” he commented “But thanks for that vote of confidence”

“I was just asking a question” Tom stated “I know what happened...I ran into Pope on the way out. He was, surprisingly forthcoming. Well, more happy about his misfortune in fact”

“There is obviously something going on here...who's misfortune?” Hal asked again, completely confused.

“Stop being so nosy” Maggie told him off.

“You know Tanya right?” Ben asked him.

“Yeah, Pope's daughter, your friend...continue” Hal answered him.

“She was … hurt. And the person who did it was found at the bottom of some stairs by Lourdes. And I wasn't with her, so, she thinks that it was me” Ben said while looking into the distance, obviously thinking of something.

“If by hurt you mean what I think you mean” he said meaningfully “Then you were doing her a favour weren't you?”

“I didn't do it!” he yelled louder than he expected it to come out. “But yes, it was kind of a blessing, because if whoever did it hadn't, I would have”

“That sentence was long” Matt laughed, not realising exactly what was going on.

“I see” Hal said. Tom nodded, Anne giving him a look of consent.

“So why is she angry?” Maggie asked him. “I mean, if someone killed Q-Ball and Billy Pope for me I would have gladly let them, you know?”

Matt took a moment to think, knowing of Maggie's back story thanks to Pope.

“Wait, Tanya was raped?” he asked innocently.

The room went quiet, Matt having stated the painfully obvious.

“Yeah” Ben swallowed hard.

“But he can't hurt her now though? He's dead?”

“No, he can't. But he isn't actually dead. He's more, mentally challenged. He hit his head on the way down I think. Not sure to be honest, but he definitely won't hurt her again.” Ben said solemnly.

Lourdes POV

“I don't know what to do” Lourdes said to the main nurse. “I mean, what did I do for him to grab me like that?”