one

my name is harper williams, daughter of the famous boxer jordan williams. my dad passed away from neurological issues he sustained from fighting early last year, that's why my mum has been trying to get me out of boxing, she believes that i am going to be seriously hurt, i don't blame her but boxing is something that i shared with my dad and it includes some of my most vivid memories of him, and i don't want to loose them.

i woke up early this morning and got changed into my gym clothes, which consists of a sports bra and some leggings. walking downstairs i avoid my mums cat, it hates me so much. i adopted it for her a few months after my dad passed away as a coping mechanism, it works for her but the cat hates me, it's a good thing i'm out of the house most of the time. i go into the kitchen and grab a protein shake then put it in my gym bag, shouting a goodbye to my mum i walk over to my mini and start driving to the gym, songs fill the speakers of my car and a mumble along to a few lines. jogging in the door i meet with my trainer jack who is speaking with what looks like a newbie.

"ah, just the girl i was looking for." jack smiles.
"harper williams, meet olajide olatunji."

"hey i'm harper." i introduced myself.

"hi, you can call me jj." he smiled.

"jj here has a big fight in february, he is going to be training here, and you, are going to be his partner." jack said.

"cool, february isn't that long away, you sure your gonna manage that fight." i ask jj.

"i have to manage, if i don't i'll be letting lots of people down and i'm sure that i'll manage with a great boxing partner." jj replies.

i smile at him, taking in all of his features including the bandana wrapped tightly around his forehead. i walk over to the weight rack and start to warm up. i see jj from the corner of my eye, he seems to be learning from jack how to position himself in a boxing ring, i decide not to stare and get out a few weights i lift them and then skip for a few minutes before doing some core workouts, when i get up i see jj already putting on his boxing gloves, knowing he would injure himself without warming up i walk over.

"hey there, you sure you don't wanna warm up, i would hate to see the new guy get hurt on his first day here." i ask.

"i have harper, didn't you see me." he said.

"you call that warming up? come on jj i'm gonna show you how you don't hurt yourself when your boxing." i laugh slightly.

he follows me onto the mat where i get out a pair of hand wraps and secure them around his knuckles then i give him some boxing gloves he puts them on when i secure the boxing pads on my hands.

"now jj, i want you to go to the punching bag and practice the stances that jack thought you earlier, this will help you with your balance as people normally just like to bounce around the place like they've been on steroids for the past year." i tell him.

"i have to admit, i wasn't actually watching jack. i was watching you warm up, so you might have to teach me again." he smiles.

"jj your not going to win this fight if you don't focus on your instructor, but yes i will teach you." i said.

"thanks harp." jj said, i blushed at the new nickname.

"no problem jj." i smiled.

i teach jj about positioning and he went over to the punching bag. i decided i would get some fighting done. i put on my boxing gloves and asked jack if he wanted to fight. he agreed and we entered the ring, not all lot of people have proper fights in the gym so when it happens there is often an audience, i see jj watching. i take my place in the ring and face jack, we touch gloves to start and i throw the first punch, merely missing his left shoulder, but in this time he manages to hit my right rib cage. the fighting goes on for another minute then we take a break, jj comes over with some water.

"thanks jj" i breathe out.

"i had no idea you were so good harp." he smiles.

"well i'm always here to surprise you." i said before turning back around.

jack and i fight two more rounds and i sustain minor injuries and don't manage to give him anything major either. when we finish i grab my towel from my bag and wipe of the many sweat beads from my forehead. jj walks over and he congratulates me on not winning, jack has many years of practice on me. people just assume that because my dad was a famous boxer i have all of those genes too, but i don't think i caught any. i've been in this gym with my dad since i could punch and he was an amazing teacher, jack has nothing on him although i'd probably never say that out loud.

packing back up my bag i put my gloves and wraps back in. i inspect my knuckles, only finding a few grazes which was good considering today's session. i look outside to see it's raining, classic england. the worst part is that i don't have a jacket, good job harper. i zip up my bag and put it on my shoulder, i see jj packing up too. i decide to leave but before i can get out the door i hear my name.

"harper!"

i turn around to see jj looking hopeful at me, i walk back over to him and he smiles.

"you really think your going out in that without a jacket." he asked.

"well yeah, i can't just make one appear out of thin air." i laugh.

"and i can't let my boxing partner get sick because she forgot a jacket. here." jj holds out his superdry waterproof and i hesitantly reach out to take it. "you can return it the next time your here, which i assume won't be that long away." he smiles.

"thank you so much jide, and yeah i'll be here tomorrow what about you?" i ask.

"i'll probably be here tomorrow but just in case i'm not, i'd better have your number." he said.

"smooth jj." i laugh, but then put my number in his phone under the name "harp williams".

i put on his jacket which is oversized but incredibly comfy, saying goodbye i walk out the gym. in the car park i see a very impressive lamborghini, that i've never seen here before, thinking that it's jj's first day here it could potentially be his, but think against that. it's probably just some successful boxers new car, not that i'm jealous but doing the walk over to my mini was definitely disheartening considering lamborghinis were my dads favourite.

driving home i can't stop thinking about today's encounters with jj, and the fact that i was wearing his jacket. when i get home i realise my mum has went to work and i won't see her until tomorrow. i take a shower, getting rid of the smell of sweat and change into my pajamas. i walk downstairs and feed the cat, in the midst of doing so i sustain many scratches. i hear my phone ping and run upstairs to get it, there being a notification from an unknown number.

unknown number
hey harp, it's jj from the gym. i just wanna say thanks for today and that i'm looking forward to seeing you tomorrow, have a good evening, jide x.

harp williams
hey jide, no problem for today, i enjoyed myself and look forward to working with you in the future. see you tomorrow, i'll remember your jacket haha, see you soon, harp x.

after texting him back i put on the tv and get into my bed, and eventually loosing the battle against sleep, looking forward to a good day tomorrow, with jj.
——

guess who's reviving this book after 2/3 years, we'll see how it goes.

©tobileroneee