Chapter Two

September 1rst, 1987

Hogwarts

"I swear to Merlin, I'll kill someone before I do that again." Katherine said, her teeth clattering together, shaking violently. She was absolutely soaked after taking the twenty or so minute boat ride to the castle.

"You would think," Penelope said, taking off her shoe and dumping out a good amount of water. "That there would be special circumstances for things like this. But no, let's just send all the first years across a lake in the middle of a hurricane!"

The twenty or so first years were so wet that hair was plastered to foreheads, robes sagging with the extra water, and uniforms nearly destroyed. Many were wringing out their shirts and robes, while others opted to take off their shoes and robes. Katherine was among them, with her shoes off and ringing out in robes in utter disgust.

"If you all would gather around me, I can explain what will happen in the next few minutes," a stern-looking woman had appeared in the doorway, a set of glasses perched on her nose. Her eyebrow rose slightly at the scene before her: the first years in various states of undress in an attempt to dry their outerwear. Katherine heard her mutter something under her breath.

With a complicated wave of the woman's wand, a very warm draft of air surrounded them, instantly warming Katherine to the bone. She could feel her uniform drying, and was grateful to feel her shoes were no longer soggy. As she looked around in awe, it seemed the others were experiencing the same thing.

"My name is Professor McGonagall," the woman said, after noting that everyone was comfortably dry. "In a matter of minutes, I will lead you into the Great Hall to be Sorted."

"Now, as some of you may know, there are four houses here at Hogwarts; Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. In time, your house will become your family. Doing well in classes will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose your house points." Professor McGonagall glanced around the first years with a ghost of a smile.

"Now, if you'll step into a line, I can lead you into the Hall so that you may be Sorted."

There was a moment of chaos while they lined themselves up, but there was excitement on every face. Katherine, although having been told of the Sorting, was still incredibly nervous. She was grateful that Penelope was standing in front of her.

Professor McGonagall led them into the Great Hall, the thousands of floating candles lighting the place brilliantly despite the stormy skies outside. Katherine was amazed to see that there was a charm placed on the ceiling that allowed them to see the storm, without feeling its effects.

She almost ran into Penelope before she realized that the line had stopped moving. Professor McGonagall had moved to the front of the Hall, a scroll of parchment in her hand. Sat on a stool was a ragged hat, the leather wrinkled and old from many decades of use. She inhaled sharply as the brim opened wide and began to sing.

I may not be what you quite see

I know I show my age.

But what you seek is clear to me,

You won't find it on any page.

There's never been a student,

That hasn't found a home.

If you find it prudent,

Put me on your thinking dome!