Part 79

Previously in YOJA: New Years Eve is supposed to be a celebration of the conclusion of the year, and a happy anticipation of what is to come. Maybe you should have seen this coming when you decided to spend the holiday with Matt, rather than spend it having solo adventures in Spain. Being in London meant you were able to say yes to Ben when he invited everyone for a New Years party. You had anticipated having to do battle against the memories of being in London with Tom. You hadn't anticipated having to flee rather than wage war against Matt and Ben after overhearing a conversation between the two men, and their true opinions on the relationship you had destroyed.

It took them a full hour and a half to recognize that you weren't around, that you weren't just standing outside on the phone, that nobody knew where you were. That's when the messages started – first curious as to your whereabouts, then increasingly demanding and panicked.

There's that little voice from within scolding you again as you determinedly put one foot in front of the other and increase the distance between you and all those behind. You should pick up. Answer someone's call, someone's text, let even one of them know where you are.

But.

But instead of listening to that sensible advice you're trying to give yourself you're ignoring every alert your phone has to offer. You're keeping that damned device shoved deep within your jacket pocket, thank you very much. Helps keep your hands warm, too. Maybe you should have thought about the temperature before abandoning the New Years Eve party... But then maybe the temperature outside didn't matter.

What was it you had told yourself as you closed the front door behind you? You wanted a quieter space to wish your father well and chat with him for a few minutes. Yes, that was it. And you wanted a little time to sort out your temper before your mouth got the better of you. Yes, something along those lines. All those reasons and more added up to the solution that found you here, walking on your own down streets you're not entirely familiar with in the early hours of the morning after drinking.

Yep, this isn't a recipe for disaster at all.

But this type of situation is what the maps app on your phone is for, right? Well, not exactly the sole use for the app, but that's beside the point. Hmmm... but if you do get a little turned around you'll have to consult the device and at least acknowledge the messages coming in, if only to swipe to ignore them. So relying on memory it is, then. And your not-entirely-poor sense of direction. You can read road signs, thank you very much.

Stubbornness. The perfect reason to allow your friends to worry.

"Friends... ha!" Whoops. You hadn't meant to say that aloud. You slow your steps and try to shake your shoulders loose, shake yourself free from the angry tension that had driven you down the sidewalk up until this point, calming conversation with your father aside.