Songfic: ODDS&ENDS

Start from the beginning

With no reason to be kept at a distance from 

them when every time you tried your hardest

For the entire school day, Maven tried to find a way to get to you. Everywhere you went you were covered in your friends. He didn't want to interrupt you. He didn't want to embarrass you. He knows the boundaries between you and him and what he cannot pass. 

You notice Maven, too. You want to speak to him but your friends never fail to drag you somewhere far away from him. It's like they want you to keep your distance. You stared at him while your friends walked you to class and he walked to his. It made you sad. What world can you be with him? Why is it so hard?

"What did I do to make them all want to leave me behind?" 

And when you don't understand you end up wanting to be alone

Maven stands alone at the bus stop again. There is no rain but it's still raining for him. He has his hood up even when the sun calls out his name. There's a constant beeping in his head, occupying his ears from the distance whispers of students walking home. They pass him like he never existed. He exists like he never existed. But he wanted it this way, and when he didn't let anybody into his life, this is what he got. 

But then every day after that, you showed up at the bus stop to greet him. You looked like the sun on a rainy day, where it shows another path through the darkness. 

Suddenly, Maven didn't want to be alone.

But you wouldn't give up 

Surely getting better every day that goes by

You talked to him about stories of your childhoods. As you continued talking day after day, you never truly learned anything about each other. You never talked about how you felt or what you were interested in, you just talked about memories. It's almost like the both of you didn't want to admit the differences. Talking like this almost seemed normal.

You thought about him every day of your life and you hung out with your friends. Separate worlds, you remind yourself, separate worlds. It's horrible that this is the only thing keeping you apart, but it's the most real thing to you. You almost accept your death everytime you stand next to him anyways. You know that one day you won't be able to talk to him by the bus anymore. 

Because slowly, you are losing your hearing. You have a hearing aid on at all times, but as you get older, the hearing aids will cease to work. You might lose your hearing forever. You haven't told anybody except your close friends. You don't want to tell Maven. And as you have been taking sign language since grade 6th, you fear that nobody else has. You fear Maven will leave you.

In an instant, you can make me sing for just you and I 

So keep your words 

"Do you want to come over?" Maven asks you one day. You have your backpack in your lap on the bus as you sit next to Maven, trapped between him and the window. He looks down at you with his dark eyes that seemed to have lightened over the months. Cold air escapes from your lips as you part them, wondering what to say. 

"Of course," you eventually let out. He smiles brightly before returning his gaze to the window next to him. 

And let me sing for the world to hear

"Your room is the most emo thing I've ever seen in my life," you express loudly as you put your bag down next to his door. He closes it from behind him, laughing so quietly that you couldn't hear. You thought he ignored you and you turned around, ready to apologize. But you see him with a big smile on his face.