8. Detonation

'You ready for this?" Clint asks as we perch on a high ledge outside a dusty window.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I asked, slightly irritated.

"Just asking! I think we're all a little out of practice," he ran his hand down his quiver.

"It's only been a couple of weeks. I don't think you ever lose the ability to kill once you have gained it."

"I wish you wouldn't talk like that," he grumbled passively.

"You disagree? Besides, you haven't stopped practicing."

"I should have practiced more, probably. All things considered."

I shook my head. "You know I have no idea what you're talking about."

He was about to speak when a small black cylinder began to vibrate in our pockets. "Time to go," he nodded to the window. I took out a small device and pressed it to the centre of the pane. The glass shattered, lacework pattern of cracks spread out like a cobweb. I pressed lightly and it caved inwards.

"Ready?"

"Of course."

I climbed through the jagged glass and into the room beyond, one that looked well lived in. The sofa was tatty and had a filthy b'anket spread over the top. Waste from takerways and shopping bags are scattered over the floor. "Nice..." I said as I picked my way through the garbage graveyard.

"Even I've never lived in these conditions," Clint joked.

"Me neither," close to these conditions, but not quite as bad.

The cylinder shook again. "Everyone in?" Tony's voice was muffled by static.

"Agent Barton and Agent Dragoness, in."

"Agent Romanoff in."

"Agent Rogers and Thor, in."

"Good. You know the plan," the cylinder buzzed one more then shut off. Everyone was in the building. I tried to relax and trust my instincts, but I just couldn't get my head around what I'd have to do. This was my final chance to choose what happened next, though I knew what I'd choose. Loki everytime.

"Come on, Dragoness," Clint had got ahead in the time I'd been daydreaming, and I rushed to catch up. He had his bow, loaded, in his hands. I had two bare blades. His target was Loki's heart - mine soon would be his.

"I'm at your side, Clint," there was definately guilt in my voice. Clint glanced at me.

"What's up with you?" he asked suspiciously.

"Oh nothing."

"Fine," I knew he'd be back on it later.

"Let's just go, Steve," Tony groaned. Steve didn't reply.

"Come on Steve, don't be a spoil sport," still no reply.

"Steve?" I heard Natasha call out, beginning to panic.

"Calm down, Tasha!" Clint tried to sooth his girlfriend.

"Where is he?" Natasha demanded.

"I though he was with you, Thor!" Tony yelled. I remained silent.

"He said he heard something, then went to investigate."

"You should have told us!" Tony and Natasha spoke in unison.

"Should we go find them?" Clint whispered.

"No, no... where's your cylinder?"

Clint rumaged in his pocket - and his face went pale. "It's gone!"