Overreacting

Soul's POV

"Maka, you're overreacting-"

"I am NOT overreacting! YOU are the one who started this, so OBVIOUSLY I'm gunna react how I NORMALLY would-"

"Which would be you overreacting."

Maka stared at him for about five seconds before letting out a yell in anger. "GODDAMMIT SOUL, WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS BEING SUCH AN ASS?!"

"Why are you always being such a brat?"

At this, Maka stayed silent, causing Soul's "cool" demeanor to break and look at her, concerned that he might have taken it too far. "Maka-"

"Forget about it, Soul. Just leave me alone." She walked past him to her room, shoving her shoulder against his as she went. Her door slammed shut behind her, but not before he heard a faint sniffle.

Soul couldn't react. He was shocked at how easily she had given up. This was not like her. This was such a petty argument, so he expected her to have won it. But he had struck her hard, somehow. All he had said was that she was being a brat...

Did it really hurt her that much?

He walked slowly to his room, pausing in front of her door. He listened to Maka's quiet sobs, and his heart sank. He hated it when she cried. She was always so strong and brave, facing anything that crossed her path. But it was terribly saddening how she could easily break down to nothing but tears from a few mere words from him. He especially hated the fact that he himself was the reason for her tears. That never sat well with him, and whenever it happened, he found himself constantly trying to win back her trust and attention by warming up to her, simply by cooking her favorite meals or cleaning the apartment. Sometimes he would even come in her room and just sit there, hugging her close.

But he tried not to do that because it stirred something inside him. His heart would beat faster, his grip would tighten as he held her, and certain thoughts worked their way into his mind, causing his breathing to come out ragged and stressed. This would always puzzle Maka when she was better, and would quizzically question him about it, but he would shrug it off and go make her dinner. He never really figured out what it was that he felt towards her, but he knew that he definitely felt something strong for her. Extremely strong.

"You gunna stand there all day or what?"

He jumped as he heard this, turning to find Maka staring angrily at him. He stood there, shocked from the startle she had given him. Was he really thinking that hard about it?

Maka rolled her eyes and pushed by him, grabbing a water bottle and heading for the door to put her black and red high-tops on. She had changed while in her room: instead of the outfit she had worn to school, she now wore a tight red spaghetti-strap tank, which accentuated her small but seemingly delectable chest, along with a pair of black jean short-shorts. This seemed to amaze Soul-her legs were always something he admired, and it was one of the things about her that made him absolutely insane. They constantly drove him up the wall, and he knew that if she caught him staring, she would Maka-Chop him all the way into next week. But here he was, staring away, and she knew it, too.

He felt sweat begin to build on his forehead, and then realized that she was going somewhere.

"And just where do you think you're going?"

She stood straight as she finished tying the laces of her shoes, staring him straight in the eye with a frown, but yet at the same time it seemed like a smirk.

"Out."

With that she opened the door and slammed it behind her, leaving Soul completely and utterly confused. What had just happened? He didn't get Chopped! HE WAS STARING! What was happening to his Maka?!