Chapter 31

Alexander stepped out of moonlight into the dimly lit house. The area was spacious, much like the outside Alexander had stolen into in the middle of the night. He knew he was pushing for a war, doing what he was doing, but he didn't care overly much. Cenek had his mate. Alexander wasn't going to leave her with him.

Greta belonged with him, and he belonged with her. Alexander wasn't about to lose that, and he wasn't going to let the fact that Greta was on Cenek's clan's property in the US stop him from claiming her as his.

Normally, a Lycan leader would present himself to the perimeter guards to ask for permission from the leader to come on their property, to do otherwise could be an insult to the clan, and cause a battle between the clans.

Alexander knew all this, but he didn't stop to talk to the perimeter guards. He didn't call ahead to alert Cenek that he found where Greta was hiding and that he was coming for her. He had given both Greta and Cenek the opportunity to follow his ultimatum. Greta had refused, as had Cenek, so Alexander was left to his own devices.

And Alexander was not about to just let Greta leave him. Although he knew Greta wanted to be with him as much as he wanted to be with her and that that very pull would bring her back to him, Alexander loved the thrill that came from going to Greta.

She hadn't particularly made it easy for him either. She could have stashed herself away somewhere in the human world where there would have been very little protection, giving Alexander easy access to her. But she had instead chosen to go to Cenek's property in America. She had surrounded herself with Lycans who, if Alexander knew Cenek well enough, would be there to offer safety and protection for the female human. But none of that bothered Alexander. It had been a long time since he had been challenged at anything, and Greta was a prize worth working for.

It had been a few years since he had to sneak on to another leader's property to take back what he wanted, but Alexander gladly rose to the occasion.

He was wearing all black and moving without a sound. Had any human seen him, they would have classified him as a shadow and nothing more. Because he wasn't infiltrating a human place, Alexander had to take even more precautions. He had hidden his smell to prevent others from realizing a foreign Lycan was on their land. His movements had less noise than the sound of a whisper.

Alexander felt himself smile.

Even in the Lycan world he was nothing more than a shadow.

Once inside the house, Alexander took a brief second or two to accustom himself to his surroundings. He wasn't sure exactly where Greta would be staying, but he was fairly confident that she would be near the center of the house, as to put her in the safest place in the manor.

Figuring that Cenek, if not Greta herself, would demand that Greta be without a scent, Alexander knew that his sense of smell would not be much use to him in locating Greta but would prevent him from accidently stumbling on one of Cenek's clan members. Although, Alexander was sure that he would be able to take out Cenek's clan member before the man would have a chance to raise an alarm, Alexander didn't want to spill any blood, so it was best to stay out of everyone's way.

Stealthily, Alexander headed up the stairs. Since he couldn't use his sense of smell, he switched his dependence upon his sense of hearing. For the past several months, he had been living in close quarters to Greta, sometimes he was closer to her than she was even aware of. That closeness had given him an edge when it came to finding Greta. He knew how her voice sounded, even when she was whispering. He knew how she breathed when she was awake or asleep. He knew how her heart sounded, especially the way it spiked whenever he would close the distance between them.