Chapter 6 - When the Dragon Calls, There is No Choice But to Answer

Mulai dari awal

The fur blanket!

Her gaze snapped downwards and her eyes instantly turned bright with glee. In one quick motion, she had already snatched the large, white fur blanket that was laying across her body and held it up to her face.

"Oooooo~ This is soooo soft! I've never felt anything so delightful to hold!"

The old man watched with speechless eyes at the suddenly hyper Feng Yao who was repeatedly rubbing her face into the fur.

At that moment, a knock came at the door making Feng Yao thankfully stop her strange behavior. An eunuch entered hesitantly after seeing stray strands of white fur sticking to Feng Yao's mouth and hair. He quickly decided to ignore her and bowed to the old man.

"Imperial Doctor. The Emperor wishes to see you. He says he would like to reward you for your efforts."

The old man's face brightened at his words. Hurriedly, he offered a low bow in response.

"Oh no, I wouldn't dare to! This humble servant only wishes to be of help to the Emperor."

The eunuch's face showed satisfaction at the old man's response.

After a slight pause, the old man hesitantly asked, "May my daughter also come with me? It is because of her that I was not beaten to death by those kidnappers."

Feng Yao looked around the room in confusion.

His daughter? Since when did he get a daughter?

After seeing both of their eyes land on her, she suddenly understood.

Oh. The old man means me.

"Wait. I'm not his--" But her words were cut off by the eunuch's nod.

"The Emperor says that you may bring anyone you wish."

In the end, Feng Yao was dragged along by the the excited old man. Her face was gloomy as she trudged along the flowery paths. She had been forced to wash up and get dressed in presentable clothing, but all she wanted to do was wrap herself in that white fur blanket and become a potato for the day.

Ahh~ So warm~ So fluffy~

Before long, the eunuch in front of the both of them stopped at a grand building. Servants respectfully stood in wait outside of the golden double doors.

"This is the imperial hall. His majesty is inside waiting."

The eunuch went inside and they followed him. As soon as they went in, the eunuch announced their arrivals and both Feng Yao and the old man gave a full ceremonial bow towards the man sitting on the throne.

When Feng Yao's flickered upwards, she paused. The Emperor looked to be quite young, perhaps only a few years older than her. He was dressed in a beautiful and luxurious golden robe. In his strong hand held a delicate cup of tea. Currently, he was sitting in a relaxed pose against his throne above them.

"No need to do such elaborate things. Please rise." His voice was deep and smooth like velvet. Feng Yao could tell that there was a smile on his face from his tone.

"Many thanks to the Emperor!"

As they both stood up, Feng Yao finally got a glimpse of his face. He had smooth skin with a straight nose. His lips were turned upwards into a beautiful and enchanting smile. Strong brows framing a pair of piercing eyes glanced over both of them before he turned his full attention towards the old man. Instantly his eyes became warm.

"You've been here for a few days, yet I've been too busy to offer you personal thanks for what you did all those years ago. Please accept my invitation and join me in drinking some tea. Your guest is also welcome."

After a flurry of movement from the waiting servants, Feng Yao and the old man were seated at individual tables beneath his throne. A cup of tea along with a tea pot was set in front of both Feng Yao and the man. A unique smell suddenly wafted up from her cup and into Feng Yao's nose.

She bent down to allow her nose a better sniff. Without anyone noticing, her eyes slowly lowered until no one could read her thoughts.

In the meantime, the Emperor and the old man continued to chat.

"I'm so pleased we managed to find you, Imperial Doctor. After you had to flee under my father's rule, I was worried I wouldn't ever be able to find you again." The Emperor let out a rich chuckle as his eyes twinkled beautifully.

The old man also laughed as he took another sip of the tea. "As long as I am still alive, I'll forever be Your Majesty's loyal subject."

Feng Yao silently watched as she raised the tea cup towards her lips.

So the old man is actually the Imperial Doctor? The one who was rumored to have fled under the previous Emperor's rule in fear of his anger? No one actually did know why the previous Emperor was so angry with the doctor though...

The Emperor sitting in front of them smiled making everyone pause. He was just that handsome.

"You flatter me, Imperial Doctor." In a pleasant tone, he ordered, "Someone, come! Bring the Imperial Doctor to the palace garden and allow him to choose whatever herbs he wishes to take!"

The old man's eyes widened before he quickly got down and bowed.

"Thank you to the Emperor for your generous gift!"

As the old man was led out, only Feng Yao was left with the Emperor. The Emperor leaned back in his chair and casually sipped another drink of his own tea with elegant movements. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed her also take another sip.

An unreadable smile came to his lips.

"Is it good?"

Feng Yao paused at his words before giving a polite smile and a nod.

"Replying to your majesty, it is quite delicious."

The Emperor lazily swirled the tea around in his cup as he looked at her in disinterest.

"Be careful of getting a stomach ache. Drinking too much can cause you more harm than good."

Feng Yao finally looked up as her smile suddenly brightened. "I thank your majesty for the concern over this humble peasant."

His eyes suddenly narrowed to look at her in suspicion, but she simply sat there and continued to drink her tea in a calm manner. There was nothing strange about her movements at all.

In a loud voice, he called out towards a servant. "It is getting late. Come and help this guest return back to her room."

Feng Yao left her tea cup on top of her table before getting up. "Thank you to Your Majesty for allowing me to be here. I shall return now."

After she left, the Emperor's gaze swept around the room. As his eyes fell upon her teacup, he suddenly paused. After a moment, his eyes brightened and without warning, he began to let out a loud laugh.

It was the first genuine one all day.

The servants remaining in the room looked at each other in confusion before lowering their eyes towards the floor. They knew better than to say anything.

Meanwhile, the Emperor had already gotten up from his seat. He walked over towards her cup that she had intentionally left for him in plain sight to see.

A slow spreading smile appeared on his lips as he thought to himself.

This girl didn't even touch a sip of that tea. As if she realized the secret.

With a chuckle, he stated, "How amusing."