It was a cloudy day as they took Sarah's casket out of the small church. Adeline stayed in the chapel, staring at the empty spot where Sarah's casket once was.

"They both deserved better," Adeline mumbled, sniffling a bit, resting her head on Bucky's shoulder.

"Yeah," Bucky responded. "All we can do now is be there for Steve." Adeline nodded her head numbly against Bucky's shoulder.

"Yeah, that's all we can do," Adeline said. "I hate."

"Me too, doll, but that's the best we can do," Bucky responded "Come on, we should find Steve." Adeline looked up, only to find that Steve was nowhere in sight.

"He probably went to the cemetery," Adeline said in a knowing voice.

"Alright, come on," Bucky said.

They were soon waiting for Steve at the bottom of his apartment stairs, trying to talk about anything other than the funeral. Steve came into view, walking with his hands in his pockets and his head down.

"We looked for you after," Bucky said in a solemn voice when Steve came into hearing range. "My folks wanted to give you a ride to the cemetery."

"I know, I'm sorry," Steve said as they walked up the stairs that were just about falling apart. "It's just..." Steve trailed off, patting his pockets for his apartment key.

"We can put the couch cushions on the floor like when we were kids. It'll be fun. All you gotta do is shine my shoes, maybe take out the trash," Bucky said as Adeline kicked over the stray brick on the ground, picking up Steve's spare key.

"Come on, Steve," Adeline said, handing Steve the key.

"Thank you, guys, but I can get by on my own," Steve responded, glancing between his two friends.

"Thing is, you don't have to," Bucky responded, patting Steve on the shoulder. "We're with you 'till the end of the line, pal." This caused Steve to crack a small smile, though not reaching his eyes, it made Adeline and Bucky feel slightly better. Steve closed the door behind him, leaving Adeline and Bucky alone.

"How 'bout a drink?" Bucky asked as they walked down the stairs.

"That sounds amazing," Adeline responded.

~*~

"You know, I don't even care anymore," Adeline said drunkenly. "He's just being an idiot."

"I think you've had enough, Adeline," Bucky said, trying to take Adeline's half empty glass. However, before he could take it away, Adeline slapped his hand away.

"You're funny," Adeline said, taking another long drink. "I like you."

"That's a relief," Bucky mumbled, taking a sip of his drink.

"What, you don't like me?" Adeline asked.

"Not right now," Bucky said quietly, earning a punch on the shoulder.

"I have a boyfriend, stop flirting with me," Adeline scolded.

"I'm well aware," Bucky responded. Adeline slammed her glass down on the bar, causing Bucky to jump in his seat.

"Another one, bartender," she called, waving her hand up in the air.

"Where's she putting all this stuff?" The bartender asked, taking yet another empty glass, filling her with another. Bucky simply shrugged, knowing he'd be the one to carry her home.

"Dance with me, James," Adeline slurred, standing on unsteady feet, attempting to pull Bucky off his seat.

"It's Bucky," he mumbled.