The Vow (Chapter One)

Start from the beginning

“Finan?” Rafe’s voice was anxious as he watched his friend press his hand to his wounded side.

They had stayed at Merrodon a week after Lord Kyule’s escape. Rafe had been torn between the desire to take Adele back to Valrek where he knew she would be safe, and the fear that moving Finan might hinder the speed with which he recovered.

Finan had practically begged him to leave, but Rafe could not bring himself to do so. He had spent the days hovering over Adele like a hen with one chick. Leofric, Daegmund and Anlaf had teased him mercilessly over such fretfulness, but Rafe had been undeterred.

Now Leofric was gone, traveling to King Ine with the news of Lord Kyule’s betrayal. Rand had left for Mercia, taking his bride, as Eda now was, with him. He had been reluctant to go, suggesting that Rafe might yet have need of him. Rafe had firmly told him to take his wife home.

Finan understood why.

They all knew that lord Kyule was not above striking at Rand’s mother and sister if he thought it would serve his cause. Finan frowned. Rafe was right; this was not over, it never would be while Lord Kyule still breathed. His hate was too deep, unreasonable, and Finan felt as though his shadow followed them still.

He watched as Adele and Rafe conversed easily together, trying to calm the unsettled feeling in his stomach.

Why did he feel that there was something he was overlooking?

He shook himself free of the uneasy notion. He would never let anything hurt Rafe or Adele, he would not allow Lord Kyule take them from him as Evoric had been.

He was only glad that they were so close to Valrek and allowed himself a small sigh of relief. The riding was irritating his wound more with each passing second and he would be glad of the respite arriving home would bring.

“T’was a long journey.”

Finan was surprised to find Lord Brogan at his side.

“It was indeed, my lord.”

“I for one will be pleased to see Valrek.” Lord Brogan shifted a little on his horse. “I am far too old for this. All I have been able to think of these last days, is how pleasant it will be to suffer Ebba’s fussing on our return.”

Finan chuckled at this confession.

“Not that you intend to let her know you are enjoying her ministrations?”

“Of course not!” Lord Brogan grinned. “Being coaxed into letting her have her way is at least half of the fun!”

For a second both men relapsed into silence.

“How is your wound, Finan?”

“Well enough, my lord.”

“Your bravery is, of course, very impressive. However a wise man does not hinder his own recovery by denying the need for assistance.”

“And by that you mean that I am to allow Lady Adele to tend to my wound, until she deems me to be well enough to do without her assistance.”

Lord Brogan’s hand settled on his shoulder.

“You must forgive the foolish nervousness of this old man. You are far too precious to me to run the risk of losing you.”

Finan felt an awkward tightness in his throat and nodded abruptly. Lord Brogan patted his back in approval.

“You are a good boy, Finan.” Lord Brogan stretched slightly in the saddle. “This rain does not agree with my old bones. I have a suspicion that this is the last adventure I will share with you boys. From now on I will have to be satisfied with hearing of your exploits.”