2.

*edited*

        “Is this seat taken?” She knew it wasn’t.

            “Uhm, no. Sit down.” He knew it too.

            The both of them sat there for a bit just enjoying the strangely comforting silence between them.

            “Can I get you something to drink, Miss?” She jumped at the sound of the bartender’s voice.

            “Just water is fine, thank you.” She had never been much of a drinker.

            “A refill on the whiskey?”

            She looked at the empty glass of his wondering how many he had had. He didn’t know why but he cared about the girl’s opinion of him so he asked for a glass of water too and they fell into silence once more.

            She looked at his profile and wondered what it was like to know someone like him.

He felt her eyes on him and wondered what she sat up thinking about at night, but that was a question he would never dare ask. It was way too personal and they were just strangers.

            “So what brings you to a place like this?” She really hoped he would answer. She knew that drink wasn’t his first and unlike her, he wasn’t able to use make up to cover the faint bags under his eyes.

            He looked up, “I’m here almost every Friday night and I’ve never seen you. So what brings you to a place like this?”

            “Why not every Friday night?”

            “Sometimes I come here on Thursdays.” He sent her a faint smile that grew larger when he heard her small laugh. “Your turn.”

            “Ah, okay. A bar isn’t usually my scene but I was getting bored of clubs and here I can still avoid my unavoidable problems.” Her answer was something he wasn’t expecting. “Your turn.”

            “Avoiding my unavoidable problems.” They shared a smile. “Where are you from?”

            “Right here in the city, you?”

            “A small town out west. I needed a change and the city seemed like a good place to start.” For some reason she understood even though there was no reason for her to. She had never been anywhere else but here and now wondered what it would be like to go somewhere completely new and just start again. “It wasn’t what I expected it to be.” He continued, “You would think ‘new place, new start’, ya know? But for some reason it doesn’t work that way and everything just follows you. It just wasn’t what I thought it was going to be.” It was like he could read her mind, like there was a strange connection between them, but she didn’t believe in stuff like that. “Your turn.” He spoke softly.

            This is the way it went. For the next few hours they sat in the same seats, getting refills of their glasses of water, and just talking. They took turns asking the questions, never pushing anyone to share personal information.

            She had been right, he was interesting and she couldn’t help but think that there was still so much more to uncover.

            “Hey, kids. We’re gonna close soon.” The bartender interrupted there debate over which time of day was the best to go for a walk. He looked around and realized they were the last two left and she made note that it was well passed 1 am. The thought of parting ways with him made her sad, she wasn’t ready to let go just yet.

            “Uh, d-do you wanna come back to mine?” She guessed he wasn’t either.