Chapter 1: mayhem

I've always dreamed of seeing the stars but now I know I'll never be able to.

My name is Faustine, my family and a few of my friends call me Fausty as a nickname, Fausty is pronounced like frosty but without the letter R.

Feel free to regard me as Fausty for my pen name as well. And since your about to read the story of my life, or more precisely how it is doomed to end, I assume I owe you a few introductions.

I live in a country called Policey, named for its well behaved citizens who enjoys the idea of harmony and a peaceful life, of course not all that is true.

  I bet you've never heard of Policey before, and now you're wondering where the bloody hell is it in the map. Well, don't waste your time looking for it in your standard map, you'll never find it.

  Only a few nations considers our land a true nation, the rest argues that we lack sovereignty or the authority for a certain country to govern itself.

  Which of course is not true.

  Policey is a country that can be generally described as prosperous, in both agricultural and technological innovations.

  I guess I have forgotten to let you know the biggest backdrop, it's quite simple if you put in an actual context.

  We don't have sunlight.

How come? You ask. Policey is located between countries with high altitudes that it makes it impossible for us to receive the benefits the sunlight has to offer.

Besides that, our land is basically a very big depression. I am not exaggerating any of this, we live in total darkness. Our streets are only illuminated by light orbs made from a very complex chemical reaction of a few substances.

I know I'm sounding quite like a lunatic and now your skeptic whether my story is worth reading, but please bear with me. You ought to know my story.

The thing is I've never thought that my life could turn out this bad. My story isn't supposed to be like what I'll tell you.

My life is something I hold really dearly and I thought I had it figured out.

I was supposed to go to a university with my brother and study astrology this year, I was supposed to be in a dorm room making new friends, I was supposed to be making memories I could share with my dad.

But now I can't.

I'm in a place I've never been to before without any idea what else this wretched life has in store for me.

  I could still remember the acrid smell of blood, and the images of the carnage won't vanish in my head.

  Even now that I am miles away from the acropolis I could still vaguely hear the screaming of people.  

  It reverberates through my skin like the bellows of an enormous monster.

Time had become so abstruse to even think about, I have no clue what day is it or even when it is time to go to sleep.

Mostly I don't have any idea if it is too late for us to get saved.