Chiba turned his head toward the window and allowed himself a little smile. Perhaps she is nervous about being near me, just as I am near her, he thought.

Hayami and Aaron's conversation died off once Aaron reached Hayami's street. Chiba had never seen Hayami's house, but he had to admit to himself, he was impressed. It was a very small house but also very well kept. There were plants and wind chimes and bird feeders hanging from baskets from the ceiling of the front porch.

Aaron stopped in front of Hayami's house and allowed them to leave before driving away. They awkwardly watched the large vehicle until it could no longer be seen.

Hayami cleared her throat. "Let's go inside."

Chiba nodded and followed Hayami to the door. Once they had entered, Chiba realized that Hayami's house may not have been as clean as he anticipated. There were crumpled up papers everywhere, old laundry scattered around the floors and draped on the furniture, and various other items such as phone chargers, earbuds, and books that laid freely about.

Hayami quickly tried to tidy up the place as much as possible, looking embarrassed. "Sorry it's such a mess," she mumbled.

Chiba gave her a small, don't-worry-about-it smile. "It's fine. I really don't mind. My own place is an even bigger mess. "

By then, Hayami had cleaned up most of the laundry and miscellaneous items and cleared off a space on her red velvet couch. She invited him to sit on the couch, and he did.

Hayami's POV

Hayami tried to keep her foot from shaking, but she could not. Shitshitshitcalmdown, she chanted in her head.

"U-uh, would you like some coffee?" She asked politely.

"Yes please," he answered in response.  "Also, try breathing. You're just talking to me, not the Queen of England. "

Hayami felt at ease immediately when Chiba dropped the formality.

"R-right, sorry. It's just been a while since, you know, we've talked freely with each other. " Her voice was slightly shaky, but still sounded more confident than before. She got up to brew the both of them coffee.

"Yeah, it has been quite a while, hasn't it? I know I already asked, but how is life treating you?" Chiba asked.

Hayami sighed. "Well, now that school is almost over, I think things will be better. But currently, despite seeing you and all, life is pretty fucking shitty. "

"Yeah. I am pretty pissed that no one told me how hard college would be. My folks just told me that it was necessary unless I wanted to become a worker at Burger King or something. "

"Exactly! No one taught me how to pay rent or set up a bank account or write a resume or any of that. I mean, my dad was rich and promised me that I would never have to worry about money, but I never imagined that he would just drop off the face of the Earth with all of his money. "

"I'm really sorry about that. That sounds horrible."

Hayami shrugged. "Anyway, how bad was your childhood?"

"Well, I actually had a pretty decent childhood up until about high school when my grades plummetted. They couldn't figure out why I was how I was. You know, usually quiet and all. Didn't show any feelings. Anyway, my dad started drinking and got kind of abusive for a while towards mom and I. I bolted the moment I turned eighteen, but I think mom is still married to dad."

"I see. That must have been traumatising," said Hayami.

"Yeah, it was," responded Chiba

Hayami finished making their coffee and fixing it. She sat down on the couch and handed Chiba his cup. He took a sip and looked very surprised.

"Why are you pulling that face?" Hayami asked.

"How did you remember how I like my coffee?"

"Oh, did I get it right? Lots of milk, two teaspoons of sugar, right?"

"Yeah, but how? You only ever served me coffee once before," Chiba said

Hayami shrugged. "I dunno. Maybe I read your mind or something. Spoooooky." The sarcasm in her voice was obvious.

"Maybe you did. Are you another super creature like Koro Sensei, Hayami?" He was obviously teasing, but Hayami's face changed instantly from an easy smile to a serious, almost fearful expression.

"That wasn't funny," she said.

"Ah, right, sorry. I forgot.." Chiba looked almost embarrassed.

Hayami cleared her throat. "Anyway, tell me what it's like to be an architect. Or a future architect at least."

They spent the rest of the night talking with one another, often bouncing from topic to topic. By time it was around midnight, Chiba decided to head home and called himself an Uber. Hayami and Chiba said goodbye and awkwardly hugged before Chiba climbed into the small blue car which belonged to his Uber driver. Hayami watched the car disappear from sight and went back into her house, where she fell asleep on the couch with a sigh.

She was glad to have seen him again .

(Hey guys. It is currently almost 11:20 in my time zone, but who needs sleep amiright? Anyway sorry I haven't updated in a while, and I promise I will actually try to update more often. Thanks for all of your support!)