Colony Order

I sat on the porch in a hanging basket chair, a book in my hand and a cup of tea waiting for me on a small table barely a foot away

I sat on the porch in a hanging basket chair, a book in my hand and a cup of tea waiting for me on a small table barely a foot away. Although it sounded like I was completely alone, I wasn't so naive.

There were two men sitting outside with me about five feet away. They followed me everywhere, even when I went to school. They'd been a constant in my life for as long as I could remember.

Mom stepped out of the screen door of the cabin with a pitcher of iced tea. I got a lot of my physical traits from her; my honey blonde hair, gentle hazel eyes, and of course her wide, toothy smile.

"Would either of you boys like a glass of tea?" Mom asked, her gentle voice akin to the breeze.

Both men sat up eagerly, sweat rolling down their necks, "Yes ma'am, please!"

Mom took her time pouring their tea, smiling down at the glasses all the while. Once the glasses were full, Mom handed one to each man and headed back inside with a heart-filled smile.

"You haven't heard anything all day, have you, Gabriel?" Michael asked between sips of tea.

"Nope. Not a buzz."

There was a slight pause as both men sipped at the same time.

Gabriel turned to me, "You haven't heard anything?"

I looked up at him from my book, only knowing which man was Gabriel by his voice, and shook my head. Gabriel nodded and returned to his iced tea while I turned back to my book. This was how our days usually went about - lazily.

Michael suddenly placed his glass on a small table beside his chair and went inside, saying he needed to speak with Mom. I didn't bother to acknowledge it and simply kept reading. Gabriel began to hum, tapping the side of his glass rhythmically.

"I've got to use the restroom. I'll be back soon." I explained quietly, closing my book and stepping out of the basket before heading into the house.

The house was generations old, belonging to my great, great, great grandmother's family. It had been passed down through the generations to my mother, who would eventually pass it down to me.

Not that I intended on staying here.

I turned through the living room, waved at Michael and Mom, and down the hall where the restroom was. Instead of walking into the restroom, I went to my bedroom - only one door further - and shut my door. I immediately slid my window open and jumped out of it, now in the backyard. It was nothing but open field and grass; every flower was plucked before it bloomed.