That One Night

It was rather unusual that night, the day of the party. The sky grew dark with a soon to come storm yet the wind was calm and gentle. I made my usual rounds in the manor to see if everything was ready and as expected the decorations and butlers were in the proper spot waiting for the guests to arrive. Just as I was entering the main entryway I saw my mother standing on the grand staircase, waiting patiently. As soon as I laid eyes on her I smiled ever so affectionately, as her loveliness was very pleasing. It wasn't just me who said it, in fact you could ask about anyone who attended her parties and they would say that she would always make them happy no matter what mood they were in from the previous day's activities. Just as I turned to go to the kitchen my mother walked down the stairs and made her way over to me.

" Marable, why aren't you outside with the guests? They have been waiting for the orders to come in for some time now, " she said with her cheerful voice. I nodded and turned to race down the stairs when a young gentleman caught my eye on the lower floors. His attire was unusual in a setting as this for his hair was messy, his suit was untucked and his shoes covered in soot and dust. It was rather unusual but no one can enter this party without a form passed out by my mother so he was here on purpose. I shrugged it off and burst through the doors, welcoming the guests. I turned to lead them into the dance hall and right as planned my mother stood there on the first landing to the grand staircase. Her long silky white dress drew behind her on the red velvet carpet as she opened her arms and walked down the stairs with her cheery smile. " Welcome my wonderful guests to my manor, drinks will be served by my waiters so please partake in any activities you wish." She said as she pointed out the butlers, standing at attention with her gaze. She gave her usual smile and everyone started the chatter of their lives with other guests and friends. She walked down towards the floor and as soon as she took a step on the marble, most of the guests swarmed her with more chatter and laughs. As usual, I was observing the party from the sidelines with no guests. As being my mother's child I have grown up to be in the spotlight from a baby. But the older I got the more I realized that my mother still got all the attention as she used to. It isn't like I am complaining, if I was a guest that walked in and saw her tremendous beauty, it would blind me from anything else. 

 After a long while the party calmed down but you would hear the occasional loud chatter from the corners of the room. When the party started to die down my mother looked at the clock nervously, as if she was running late for something. Suddenly I knew what she was waiting for as a loud ringing echoed throughout the manor from the large grandfather clock. As if she was a mist she vanished upstairs into her room. The guests looked around confused as they all stopped what they were doing to look for my mother. I walked up to the staircase to calm the crowd, saying " My dear guests, my mother has retreated to her room for some rest. She will rejoin the party soon enough". The moment I closed my mouth..the whole room went pitch dark, as the guests began to rumble and bustle around nervously on the floor. I thought to myself that a power outage at this time of the month isn't at all likely, but thought nothing of it. Little did I know that the darkness was more than unlikely, it was going to be the last thing we ever see.