Songfic: Tsumi no Namae

Start from the beginning

Anyone who sees my face will only treat me with despise

Often you get spotted. You crouch down to the bushes, crawling back into the depths of the woods. Sometimes, the human gets curious and walks closer to the gloom. At that point, you're already gone. It's fun. You love the feeling of adrenaline it gives you. It's something human, right? Is this what humans feel? 

Even if it's sad, I won't concede, I'll pretend. Because,

 It's extraordinary. Sometimes you wish you were human. The goddess of fortune says that you are a monster, even if born from a maiden. So deep inside you know you'll never fit in with the humans, so you might as well continue living with the deities. 

But as you continue to inch closer to the humans, you notice one that makes your chest feel like it's being squeezed. It's a boy with dark curly hair and bright, blue eyes. He never does labor like the rest of the boys. He just sits, facing the forest. He never moves his eyes. He just stares, always listening. His fingers are always in place as they touch his surroundings when he moves. You wish to help him, as he is obviously disfigured somehow. Can he not see? Why does he always stumble?

With the years and years you've spent watching the humans, you have never come across a human who could not see. Are their more humans like that? Are their humans... like you?

If I had one wish, I'd ask the stars to give me a friend who'd never leave

You inch closer to the boy, watching him as he sits down in his chair. The morning is new, and the smell of the bread being cooked in a nearby home filled your nostrils. The smell of humans is always pleasant. It's way better than the moist aromas that come from the gloom in the forest. You continue to crawl closer to the boy, your fingers holding up all of your weight. You just want to see what he looks like up close. Surely, nobody will care, right?

Snap

Your foot gets penetrated by a twig. You almost make a noise, but you bite your lip. You with your feet were as strong as your hands. The boy's head snaps in your direction, and he looks right into your eyes. His eyes move for a moment. He doesn't react. His sight is truly lost. Any other human would scream or attack you with the nearest object. Instead, he stands. You watch him as he inches closer to you. He just stands right in front of you. You can't move. You want to retreat, you want to run. But he looks so real up close. There is no noise other than the humans living their lives so he returns to his chair hesitantly.

You are quick to back away.

Asking a simple question, "Why is it that you hate mice?"

You sit with the deities as you return. The bright colors of each one contrast the next figure. It's like a light show. Their colors reflect off the moist cave, dripping with water from the roots above. You hate being underground. Everything is made of mud. But it's better than sleeping outside with a human to uncover you. 

"Why is it that humans are so bad?" You ask sheepishly. All of the chatter stops. It seems all heads have turned to you. You just stare at the wall, continue to pet the small pixie that naps in your lap. You hate the feeling their eyes give you. It's insecurity. Why was your question so bad? What are they going to do? You almost feel like they are going to attack you over something so simple. 

They roll their eyes and laugh back, "Because they're dirty worthless things!"

"My dear," the goddess of fortune soothes you as she places you into her lap. Her yellow light wraps around your finger. Quickly, the pixie retreats in fear. You wish to do the same. "Humans do not deserve our attention. They destroy, and they are pointless life forms. Don't waste your time on them." She whispers motherly into your ear. The other deities cackle, watching to see your reaction. You nod, thinking about it. Pointless? What makes humans more pointless than us? How do they know? Stupid deities...