Say You'll Remember Me

You've always secretly been afraid of everybody leaving you.

It probably started when all of those girls in school refused to be friends with you. You were weird, and they told you so every day. Their rejection filled you with a deep longing for something true, something real, and you found that, or so you thought, until they ended up leaving you behind again. You would retreat into your mother's caring arms and lick your wounds until you were ready to try again.

But over and over, people just left you.

That was all before, though, before you met Karlie.

She came into your life on a November night and enveloped your life in warm rays of sunshine all year round. With her calming presence and kind heart, she eased the fear right out of you. With her you were safe; nothing could ever hurt you again.

Or so you thought.

You just hadn't seen this coming.

---

The heels of your shoes are clicking hard and fast against the linoleum floor, the sound bouncing off the narrow white walls as you hurry down the hospital corridors. Behind you are two of your security guards and they're probably the only reason you're managing to hold yourself together right now, giving you a sense of safety in the midst of all this chaos.

Shocked eyes stare up at you as you reach the nurses station in the ER. "You're Taylor Swift."

You fight the urge to roll your eyes. It would be great if your fame wasn't so god damn obvious all the time – some moments, like this one, would be better if you weren't the Taylor Swift. You swallow the annoyance that's building up inside you and take a deep breath before opening your mouth. "My girlfriend was brought in here, her name's Karlie. Karlie Kloss." You purposely refuse to acknowledge the nurse's stupid observation. Who the fuck cares if you're Taylor Swift when the sunshine in your life is lying broken somewhere in this hospital? It's not like you're the important one here.

You nervously shift your weight from one foot to the other as you wait for the nurse to check her records, your eyes sharp like a hawk. That's the only reason you notice her expression change from awe to unease seconds before she gulps and meets your gaze again. "I'm really sorry, Miss Swift, but I'm not legally allowed to divulge any of her medical information to you. Is there a family member you can..."

You back away without a word, not hearing the rest of the sentence, bumping into Jeffrey, the security guard you've had the longest. He puts a comforting hand on your shoulder, steadying you as you try to think.

You stand there for a good five minutes before you realize you're just standing in the middle of the hallway. People are already going out of their way to get around you because let's face it, with two security guards behind you, you're not exactly leaving a lot of space for people to walk past you.

Grabbing your phone out of your purse, you quickly send a text to every single one of Karlie's family members in your contacts. "Please," you write, "I don't know what to do," but it feels like you're screaming into the void.

---

For hours you pace the empty waiting room, unable to sit still for more than three minutes at a time. When you try to sit down for longer, you can feel thousands of ants crawling around inside your veins, leaving you restless and agitated. If only you could go somewhere, do something, but going somewhere would mean leaving the love of your life behind here, in some kind of limbo, and that thought is worse than the thought of her knowing you're sitting in the waiting room waiting to see her, but not being allowed in.