The Basket

The Robert's family just experienced a loss. The mother, Jennifer, died suddenly, and Mr Roberts and his son Brandon were selling the house and everything they own. I went to the garage sale and noticed that most of the things were women's items. Mostly everything was $5 a piece. They let people inside and the only thing that interested me was a picnic basket full of books on top of a crate.

I didn't bother rifling through the books, I just picked it up in my rough hands and took it to Mr. Roberts.

"How much?" I ask as he turns from another customer.

"Just 10."

I carefully manuever the basket to only one hand and shoved my hand in my pocket to get out two fives. After he takes them, his son offered me assisstance to get them in my car. I drove around and ran errands for my mother. When I got home I had my brother lug the basket to my room and he tried to look inside. I made him leave before I started looking at the books. I picked up a leather bound book and opened it. It was a false book, with the middle carved out. I pulled out an object covered in plastic wrap, so thick you couldn't see what was inside.

I made sure I closed the door to ensure my privacy. The process of unwrapping the object took a few minutes. It turned out to be more than one piece of plastic wrap. I finally had gotten it all off and plugged my nose. For a few mintues I couldn't tell what it was, until I saw the features of a finger.

I threw it on the floor and screamed. My brother came in my room.

"What the hell is that!" He yelled.

"It's a finger. I'm gonna hurl."

I covered my mouth and ran to the bathroom.