Chapter Twenty-Two

"So, your first official engagement, huh?"

Emmy rolled her eyes at Taylor, shrugging off the feeling of dread that her words caused within her, as she took another chip in her mouth. "Don't remind me."

"Don't be like that, you'll be fine," Taylor said, smiling reassuringly. "What do you even have to do?"

"Um, I think it's just meeting people that have benefited from Coach Core."

"And what's that?"

Emmy smiled at Taylor's ignorant tone. "Well, it's an apprenticeship scheme that helps jobless young people through sport."

"That is such a textbook definition," Taylor teased.

"That's what they told me it is!"

"And you've learnt it word for word," she replied, grinning. "So what? You just turn up and meet people and leave?"

"Harry said there's going to be some basketball player there." Emmy shrugged. "And we have pictures taken and stuff. I don't know, apparently it's not too scary an engagement."

"Good," Taylor said. "It's a nice one for you to start off with."

"But I'm still nervous," Emmy added, grinning sheepishly.

Taylor groaned and rolled her eyes. "Why, Emmy? Did you not see how much people loved you at Christmas? Everyone's already looking forward to the wedding!"

"Did I tell you? We've got a date."

"For the wedding?!"

"No, to go shopping," she said sarcastically. "Yes, for the wedding."

"When?"

"26th June."

"Ooh!" Taylor clapped her hands with excitement. "How exciting! I await my invitation."

"You're sure as hell getting one," Emmy laughed.

"And...is there any news on...maid of honour?"

She sighed, tucking her blond hair behind her ear and dropping her eyes to her food. "Not yet. I don't know how that's going to be."

Taylor's face fell. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know who they want me to have."

"Is it not your choice?"

"If it were-" Emmy said, then smiled shyly at her friend. "I'd choose you."

Taylor beamed. "I love you, Em."

"But I don't know if they want me to choose a member of my family, you know? I don't know if it's going to have to be Lucy."

She pouted. "Unfair! Lucy doesn't even care about you! No offence."

"None taken, I already knew that," Emmy said, then sat back and sighed. "I don't know how it is."

"You get no say? That sucks."

"I know," she said.

"Do you want another drink?" Taylor asked, getting to her feet to head out into the kitchen.

"No thanks, it's getting late, I'll have to be getting home," Emmy replied, checking her phone in her friend's absence. They'd spent the day shopping, looking for something decent for Emmy to wear to her "first official engagement", and then they'd returned to Chris and Taylor's apartment for food. Chris' sister Jenny lived there with them now but she, like her brother, was still at work.