Going Nowhere

Medusa was sick. She felt cold. Lara put warm towel on Medusa's forehead.

"You have a fever. Get some sleep," Lara said.

"I have to go fishing," Medusa countered.

"No. You can't even get up. I'll go make lunch. I'm thinking of mushroom soup. It'll make you better."

Medusa opened her mouth to reply but Lara put her index finger on her lips. "Let me take care of you for once."

Lara searched her cane. On her right hand, she had a long rope made from roots to guide her. Medusa thought it was a good idea to have several ropes that lead Lara to the river and the forest. That way, she could go around on her own. It was useful indeed.

"Just lay down, okay. I'll be back in a heartbeat," Lara gently cupped her lover's cheek.

"Wait."

Medusa spoke to her snake, Polypes, in a foreign language. Soon, Polypes got off Medusa's head and took his place on Lara's shoulder. "I won't let my girl wander the forest without protection. He'll be your bodyguard."

"Aww"

"You know I won't let anything happen to you. I love you so much. The mere thought of you get hurt would kill me."

"Who would've thought that my girlfriend is a softy?" Lara wiped the nonexistent tear. "If I don't know better, I would think you have a heart problem too," Lara teased.

"You make fun of my love's declaration." Medusa pouted.

Suddenly, Lara's kiss on Medusa's lips. "I'm sorry. It's a really nice gesture of you. I appreciate it. Never forget that you're the best thing in my life," Medusa was smiling against her mouth which made Lara smile too.

*

Lara was on her way back when Polypes hissed. "You notice it too, huh," Somebody was following them. She picked up her pace.

"Where do you think you're going?" a man said from behind.

Lara panicked. She ran but tripped over her own feet. The man picked her and carried her over his shoulder.

"Put me down," Lara screamed.

"Shut up, you blind girl," the man covered her mouth.

Polypes bit his hand. He groaned in pain and dropped Lara to the ground. Lara took this chance to flee away.

"Fuck. Catch her. Make yourself useful, idiots." Two other men ran after her. Polypes fell to the ground. It blocked their way. One man grabbed his sword to kill it but he missed. Polypes attacked him repeatedly. He was dead on the spot. Polypes's attention shifted to the second man but he backed away.

*

Inside the cave, Medusa was sleeping. She heard unfamiliar footsteps approaching the cave.

"Lara, is that you?" Medusa asked.

"In the name of Zeus, what is that?"

"Looks like a woman." 

"I think I know her. It's Medusa."

"The monster!"

"Quick, let's get out of here before she turns us to stone."

Medusa came out from her room and greeted the intruders. No one escaped from her deadly glare. It was a long time ago since people came after her. The sight of the dead men made her dizzy. She fell to her knees. Her head was pounding and her body was weak. She was just enjoying the quiet, peaceful live she has with Lara. Now, the fear is coming back. People found their hiding place. She was afraid that they would kill her. Then, her mind drifted to Lara.