Company

"Aaa," someone screamed.

Medusa's eyes flickered open. She looked around her, trying to find the source. She squinted her eyes. In the distance, there was a woman. She was drowning.

"Help. Somebody, help me," Medusa ran to the other side of the river. She was about to dive in when she remembered that she could not swim.

"Hang on. I'm gonna help you."

"Helppp" the woman took one last breath before the water pulled her body to the bottom of the river.

Medusa panicked and, ordered Polypes, one of her snakes to help her. The snake fell to the ground, along with its friends. They reached the woman and brought her body to the edge.

"Don't die on me," Medusa tried to identify if there is a pulse. She checked her wrist and listened for heartbeats. The woman was not breathing. "I know that the water must be gotten out of the body. But how? What am I supposed to do? There must be something that I learned from the academy," Medusa thought hard. "Oh. I remember." She placed her hands on the woman's chest and applied some pressure on it. 

"You can make it. Come on," her effort saved the poor woman's soul.

The woman coughed some water. She muttered a small thank you before she fell asleep. Medusa checked her heart, just to make sure. It was beating and her breathing was back to normal.

"You scared me, girl," Medusa smiled.

*

Medusa carried the woman bridal style. She put her on the ground and made a bonfire to keep her warm.

It was nighttime and the moon shone through the cave's walls and lightened the room. Medusa was busy admiring the beauty in front of her. She removed the brown hair that covered the woman's face. It turned out that she had a cute little nose and pink lips. Then, Medusa traced her finger on the chubby rosy cheeks.

"I wonder what eye color you have. Is it blue or green?"

"Actually, it's hazel," The woman opened her eyes. Medusa was captivated. It was like those hazel eyes staring right into her soul.

Medusa snapped out of her reverie. She quickly removed her hand. "I'm sorry. Personal boundaries. I crossed the line."

"I don't mind. Your touch is so soft. I like it."

Medusa did not know what to response.

The woman sit up. "I would like to say thank you for saving my life. My name is Lara. May I know yours?" She smiled sweetly while offering her hand.

"It's Medusa," Medusa shook the hand. It was as smooth as baby's butt. Reluctantly, she had to let go of it. "I'm glad you survive. I was afraid that I was too late."

"I'm sorry. I caused you trouble," Lara apologized. "Also, where am I?"

"I bring you to my cave. It's not really mine but I live here long enough and there's no one else."

"You're rambling," Lara pointed out. "It's adorable," Medusa blushed.

"Umm it's because I have no idea where you live but I can take you home tomorrow morning," Medusa offered.

"No. I don't wanna go home," Lara bit her thumb. "Bad people. They hurt me," She tried to stand up but failed. Her body was still weak. She crawled to Medusa. She grabbed her hand, and looked her in the eye, pleading. "Can I stay with you?"

"Sure. I'd like to have your company," Lara hugged her. It caught Medusa by surprise. It has been a long time since the last time she shared a physical contact with anyone. It was awkward. So, she just patted Lara's back.

"Don't take this wrong but why don't you turn to stone?" Medusa asked.

"What do you mean?" Lara tilted her head.

"You heard the rumors people talked about these past years. I am Medusa."

"You told me that already."

"Doesn't it ring a bell? I'm the monster who turn everyone to stone just by looking at my face. Except for you. It's weird."

"It's because I don't look at you. Not really. I'm blind," Medusa mentally face palmed. How could she not realized it. "I wasn't born this way. I lost my sight in an accident. No need to say sorry. It wasn't your fault."

"Okay then," Medusa nodded. "I have two questions."

"Ask away."

"Won't your parents come looking for you? Does it not bother you? Living with me. I killed hundreds of people. I'm evil."

"I'm sure they will but I live far from here. They won't find me. Not in the near future anyway. To answer your second question, I think I have to spend a couple of days here before I can judge whether you're evil or not. Besides, I know deep down you're a good person."

"How?" Medusa's eyebrows furrowed together.

"You saved me. You could just watching me drowning. Or even laughing at my misery. But you didn't. "

"I did but it doesn't change the fact that I killed innocent men."

Lara scoffed. "Them with their weapons, trying to win over your head for golds. That doesn't scream innocent at all. They are the bad ones."

"Why are you so nice to me? We just met." Medusa sniffled a bit before taking a deep breath to compose herself. "Even my parents don't want me.

"Cry no more," Lara gently cupped her palm around Medusa's cheek. "I'm here and I will stay as long as you want me."

"So, friends?"

"Friends." 

*

A comfortable silent fell over them. Medusa caught herself staring at Lara again.

"Cut it out. I know that you're obsessed with me. I'm beautiful," Lara teased.

"Where the modesty goes?" Medusa played along.

"I threw it to the river," Lara yawned. "As much as I enjoy talking with you, I'm so sleepy. Let's go to bed."

"Do you prefer to sleep on the right or left side?"

"Right side."

"Okay. I'll go to the left," Medusa put down some fabric on the ground before guided Lara her side.

"It's not much but it'll make your back less hurt."

They were laying next to each other. Facing other direction. Medusa was about to fall into a deep slumber when an arm circling her waist. Lara's breath tickled her nape.

"Good night, my hero," Lara kissed her cheek. Medusa's cheeks were as red as tomato.

For once, the idea of suicide did not cross her mind. Medusa fell asleep with a smile on her face.

AN: They finally meet. Do you like Lara? 

How long will this friendship last?