Pretzel Problems - Part 1

The sun was warm that afternoon on the Piazza San Marco. The pigeons chased each other around the plaza, tourists tried to capture their special moments on digital memory, and I sat at a small table to one side, deep in contemplation that perhaps a tiny lemon gelato might take the edge off the day's heat.

Suddenly, the device in my jacket pocket went off with a four-note signal. I paused, thinking perhaps it was a mistake, a misdial. Then it sounded again. I sighed. That lemon gelato was just going to have to wait.

"Ben Credible here. What's the sitch, Wade?"

"Major bad news, Ben. It seems like there must have been a villains convention or something because we're getting major hits from all over the world. Kim and Ron are already headed to Europe to handle Duff Killigan in the UK."

"Typical. Well, that is closer to Middleton anyway, and it is a school night. What does Kim need me to do?"

"Professor Dementor is up to something in Germany. Kim needs you to get to Munich as soon as possible. Think you can handle that?"

"I can if you have transportation arranged. I mean, it's not as if I could just walk right next door."

Wade smiled. "Let me see what I can do." He bent over his keyboard, his fingers flying. "Done and done. Your ride was already arranged; I just needed to confirm your location and mission status. Your gear is on board."

I cocked one eyebrow at him. "That sure of me, were you? Fine. But tell Kim she owes me a lemon gelato. So, how soon will this ride get here?"

There was a sudden downward rush of air, and a rope ladder rolled down next to me. "Is now too soon?"

"Show off. I'll call in transit." I stowed the Kimmunicator in my jacket pocket and grabbed the rope ladder, which lifted me into the air and on my way.

*****

I took advantage of the flight to switch into my mission gear and use the Kimmunicator's memory to bring me up to speed on Dementor. Austrian mad scientist, more competent than Drakken, but a meticulous planner - he built his plans like clockwork. Literally. Screw up one part, they usually fail. But he was also aware of this, so the professor was fanatical about guarding and testing his plans. Oh, this one was sure to be a tough nut to crack.

I poked my head between the seats to talk to the pilot. The Global Justice agent was dressed in the grey GJ uniform and dark sunglasses. "Thanks for getting me to Germany so quickly, Agent Johnson."

"Don't mention it. After the assist Team Possible gave us on that classified submarine mission, it's all we can do."

"Well, that's nice of you, I'll be sure to tell Kim-"

"No, sir." Agent Johnson stared straight ahead. "As stated, it's classified. Don't mention it. Ever. This is all we can do."

"I, uh, see. Well, thank you anyway."

"No problem, sir. ETA 10 minutes." He continued to fly without saying another word. I backed out of the cockpit. Sheesh, and GJ still wonders why it can't recruit me.

As the helicopter approached Munich, I contacted Wade again on my Kimmunicator. He looked concerned. "Ben, are you on the ground?"

"Just about to drop. Can you give me the 4-1-1?"

"I received an encrypted message from Flynn Cognito six hours ago."

"That name sounds familiar."

"It should. He's a senior Global Justice agent. Master of disguise."

"I like him already."

"I guess he must have been infiltrating Dementor's operation, but something happened to him. When I unscrambled the message, it says Dementor has taken over a Bavarian pretzel factory and converted it to make his Deliciously Diabolical Doomsday Dippers Pretzel."

I stared at the screen. Some days on this job...

"Wade, first, I dare you to say that three times fast. But more importantly, second, you seriously just flew me 340 miles because some guy who wears disguises says Dementor has gotten into the snack food business?"

"There's more to it. While these pretzels are very tasty, one bite puts the victim under total mind control."

"Oh. Well, that changes things."

"Agent Cognito infiltrated the factory and discovered the mind control is triggered using a musical tone. Dementor plans to use it at the upcoming Global Summit to control the world's leaders."

"Uh, Wade, isn't that summit coming up soon?"

"Try two days from now." Wade looked up at his monitor. "Hang on, Kim's calling in now - I'll patch her into the conversation." The image on the Kimmunicator split, showing Kim on the left and Wade on the right. In the background, I could see rolling hills and what appeared to be a lake and in the shadows...

"Kim," I said, trying to sound nonchalant, "is that the Loch Ness monster behind you?"

"Long story, no time for that now. I just got a message from Flynn Cognito, the Global Justice agent on the inside of Dementor's factory. He located the musical trigger for the mind-control pretzel formula, but he can't leave the factory to deliver it to you in person - not without blowing his cover."

That makes sense; I am the new guy in town and all. "I'm assuming he's got a different plan?"

"Yes. According to his message, Cognito'll leave it for us – or you - in parts."

"Parts?"

"He got out of the factory to visit the village of Strudeldorf earlier today, under the guise of a shopping trip. He stopped in a variety of stores. The message Cognito sent is a set of clues that he said would be all you'd need to figure out the location of the musical notes."

"A list. Okay, I'm ready."

"Toys, trains, Christmas, nuts, singing, steins, tiny, village, squirrels."

I repeated those back to her. "Did he have any other instructions after I assemble the notes?"

Kim started to open her mouth but was interrupted by the sound of bagpipes and an explosion off screen. Ron yelled in the background, "Kim, he's back! Run!"

Kim glanced offscreen, then looked back. "Sorry, Ben. I've got to go. I'll get there as soon as I can, but until then, you're on your own. Good luck." She cut out of the circuit, and I looked at Wade.

"Did you get that list of items?"

"Got it in a file. Would you like that and the map of Strudeldorf sent to your Kimmunicator?"

"Please and thank you, Wade. Now let's see what I can find. I'll be in touch soon." I shut mine down and went to tell Agent Johnson where to drop me off.

I hit the ground five kilometers outside of Strudeldorf, near the last known location for Dementor's compound and factory. Once I was secure on the ground and knew I wasn't being watched, I checked my watch. If I hurried, I could be in town before sundown.