Prologue, Day 1. I Miss you!

Start from the beginning

"Honey.." she cups my drenched cheeks in her warm hands. "It's not your fault." She kisses my forehead and hugs me again. Her mother's hugs always felt like heaven. Our hug was interrupted by a doctor with a clipboard in hand.

"May I please see the people who are visiting Ms. Summers?" The doctor announces. We all get up and gather around him. "I'm Dr. Hansen, Shelby's Doctor." He holds up his clipboard and flips through a couple of pages.

"Um.." Shelby's dad interrupted "When can we see my daughter?" The doctor sighs, "That's the thing...you'll be able to see her, just she won't be able to see you. Your daughter is being transferred to the ICU."

"Oh my god!" I shout startling everyone, even the doctor "Shelby's blind!?!?" Everyone gasps and begins to freak out and look concerned at the doctor.

"No no no, listen we believe due to Shelby's severe head injury..... we're afraid she might be in a coma. We're running her to the ICU to run some more tests and then we'll keep her there. She'll leave later tonight. " My mom and my aunt begin to cry and my uncle hugs them both to try and comfort them. I try my best to stay strong and keep it together.

"When will we be able to see her?" My mother mumbles in between sobs.

"Now if you'd like." I'll escort you guys to her room, but she's in a temporary room so gifts or anything like that will have to wait." We all nod in agreement. We pace through the halls to an elevator. We step into the moving transportation box and the doctor presses 8 on the dial pad and up we go. After some time has passed, a loud ding comes from the elevator as the doors slide open and we make our way to her room. As we pace down the halls, I can't help but notice some of the doors were opened....some of the rooms had people gathered in them... some were smiling and laughing.....some were crying as they said their last goodbye...

We finally come to a halt. The doctor twists the doorknob to her room felt like it was the longest 10 seconds of my life. The doctor scans his key card and the door opens. That's when I see my best friend laying on a bed looking lifeless. I think that's the most still I've ever seen her... the scab on her face makes me disconnect from reality...

(Flashback mode)
12 weeks ago

Shelby climbs into my car "Kenzie... " She says while tears are streaming down her face and cupping her right cheek, she shuts the car door "Thank you so much for picking me up...

"Shelby I love you, but what the hell happened?! It's 4 in the f*cking morning, I have to go to work in 2 hours." I start the car and begin to drive.

She sighs and takes a deep breath in "Logan came home drunk after work again and we got into a huge fight because I was concerned about him being gone for so long, it felt like he was being distant, you know? Recently I felt like he has been seeing someone else lately. After a long rough argument, he pushed me up against a wall and tried to kiss me, after I slapped him hard he grabbed me by my neck and began to choke me. I kneed him in the crotch to get away, but he grabbed me by my hair and threw me against the wall after I hit the floor he punched me in the face and took my car keys. He ended up jabbing me in the cheek with my keys... That's when I locked myself in the bathroom turned on the shower hot for it to steam and I texted you. Now I'm here in the car with you, telling you about me being in the car with you and now describing that I'm in the car with you for the 3rd time now and now mentioning that..."

"Okay okay, I get it!!!" I shout while my anger fades into giggling. "God you know how to take the negative energy out of people." She smiles and laughs.

"I try my best." She smiles while tears still steam down her face. She flinches a bit as saltwater runs through an open cut on her face.

"What's wrong!?"

"It hurts to cry and smile, due to this." She pulls back her hair and tucks it behind her ear to reveal the wound.

"OH MY GOD SHELBY! Let's stop at the dollar store and get you a bandage and some stuff to clean that up, or at least stop the bleeding" I freak out.

She sighs... "You don't have to... use my card at least please!" She asks.

"Okay, okay fine!" I drive up the road and park the car. I run into the store and grab what I can for a cut like that.

Shelby's Perspective in Flashback

Kenzie gets out of the car and runs into the store. I rest my eyes and sit in silence. My eyes shoot open to the sound of pounding on the window. "What the hell!?" I look around in confusion until I find my ex looking into the window of the passenger side of the car.

"SHELBY! Let me in, I need to talk to you!" He screams while he bangs his fists on the window repeatedly. I quickly make sure all the doors are locked and windows are up.

Kenzie's perspective in flashbacks

A few moments later after I had already checked out. As I'm walking out of the store. I spot my car and Logan yelling at Shelby through the window, he begins to get aggressive with my car handle on Shelby's side. I dial 911 on my cell and report him. After the call, I put my phone away and sent my purchased items and purse down next to the store in view distance. I sneak up behind Logan and tackle him from behind and jump on his back. I begin to hit him in the head with the wedge of my shoe. He throws me into the ditch. As I hit the ground I hear a loud crack in the area of my hand. I Push through the pain and manage to stand up. I search for Logan and my eyes lock on my target. He's back in the passenger side of my car, yelling through the window at Shelby. I run again at him and jump on his back again this time with my keys in hand, pointed at his throat. All of a sudden I notice flickering lights and a cop appearing out of his vehicle and running towards us with his hand on his gun holster. Once Logan notices the cops, he sprints off into the open field with me still on his back. It felt like a violent piggyback ride. I glance behind me and see the men in uniforms chasing after us. I try and jump off of Logan's back, but as he's running he's gripping my leg's tightly. I shove my keys into his neck and make a small cut down it. I struggle to get away by kicking my legs free and all of a sudden I'm let free and I tumble away. Once I stopped rolling I sit up slowly looking around me. I notice Logan laying 15ft away from me, I brush myself off and stand up, I stand up and I'm face to face with a police officer. I was questioned about the situation and Logan was taken away in cuffs and sent to jail.

(Reality)

Tears begin to well up in my eyes as I picture my best friend... I didn't even notice that my friend's bed was being rushed out of the room by three nurses and the doctor. The doctor stops and turns around. "You guys should go home and get some rest, it's been a long day for you folks. You can go to the ICU tomorrow and see Shelby there. I'm sure she'd want the same for you guys." He turns back and catches up with the nurses and my friend.