Friends?

I spent the next hour and a half of my life immensely enjoying myself. Upon our arrival at Starbucks, the boys’ friends, Tanya and Jim, had called them over to a corner booth, and while they were confused initially about why I was with Tyler and Connor, they didn’t mention it. They introduced themselves (even though I already knew who they were), and then proceeded into the most lively conversation I’ve ever heard. Tanya and Jim were both hilarious, and their stories were very interesting. The conversationalist inside me made an appearance, and I soon got very comfortable with these people.

I enjoyed myself so much that I didn’t even think to glance at my watch and see that I had missed all of AP Bio and half of English. If I had, I most likely wouldn’t have cared.

Eventually, Tanya wanted to head back to school so she didn’t miss Home Ec, and I went with them. A warm smile was settled onto my face for the rest of the day. Had I just made my first friends in Grand Rapids?

After the final bell had rung, I stood at my locker, sliding a few hefty textbooks into my bag, when someone approached me from behind. I turned, and saw Tyler standing there. “Hi Ember! So I just realized that we didn’t even get your phone number at Starbucks!”

I smiled, going with the flow. I hadn’t even realized that they wanted my number. We exchanged phones, dialing in the numbers.

“Alright babe, see you tomorrow!” Tyler laughed, the joyful sound filling the hallway as he retreated.

It felt strange, talking so freely like this. I was so used to the conformity of invisibility, seeing groups of friends walking in the hallway conversing the same way I could with Tyler’s group now. People never approached me at my locker, much less asked to exchange phone numbers. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever picture myself skipping school, especially not with the same flamboyant characters. It was different, sure, but it was nice.

Later that night, as I laid on my bed sketching, my phone buzzed on the nightstand beside me. Sitting up, I grabbed it, finding a text from Tyler.

To: Ember

Hey babe! What’s up? :]

I grinned.

To: Tyler the Slaytastic

Umm... nothing really. Nice contact name, btw.

I continued chatting with Tyler for an hour, interestingly enough. I got to know him pretty well. We talked about hobbies and family members and funny stories and basically anything that came to our minds.

Eventually, Tyler had to go. Before he left, I sent him one last message.

To: Tyler the Slaytastic

Oh and Ty, thanks for being my friend. I needed one.

And maybe it was just one of those things where you never realize how much you needed something until you have it.

And this was just the first to come.

Of course, I didn’t know this as I drifted off to sleep, my phone warm in my hand and a sleepy smile on my face.

•••••••••

Chapter 3! Okay so I have uploaded two chapters today, and I hope you enjoyed them both. But literally right now there is a HUGE thunderstorm outside and its pouring rain and my mom is yelling for me to get off the computer because she thinks I'll get electrocuted. I'll write more later, promise! (By later I mean at the middle of the night). 

See you tomorrow you little squish nuggets! (-_- I don't know where that came from but I kinda like it...) 

-Elle xx