Chapter Four: The Stars

Maki could feel himself tremble at the sight. Maybe it was fear, but also, so much more. Excitement rattled his bones, bringing that new feeling to the brink of exposure. He wanted to touch the wolf, and get as close as possible to the big furry creature as possible.

The wolf snarled, bending low as if it were going to attack Maki. The boy didn't even flinch, too preoccupied with it's glowing, penetrating eyes to be worried if it would hurt him or not. He knew the creature wouldn't dare lay a harmful finger on him, a feeling, but also something so much more. It was like he had known the creature before him his whole life, and that no matter what happened he could trust him. He couldn't quite describe it but it felt like it was enveloping his body like a large, oversized glove.

Maki reached out to touch the fur, but the wolf growled once again, barring its large teeth at him in an angry manner. He wasn't worried about the anger that resonated off of him. Maki held his hand until the wolf let his head down in surrender, and he took full advantage, petting the wolfs soft scruff and ears.

Get on

The wolf crouched down and Maki, without any hesitation hopped on. His mind seemed to float like a kite caught in the wind desperately struggling against reality. Maki could feel the cool air whip past his face and brush his features—it made him feel free.

Though the farther the wolf ran the colder it got. Maki was starting to notice the snow around him as it fell in flurries. It seemed cold to him, but he was warm so he didn't mind.

He looked back wondering how far they had gone, but somehow he wasn't worried in the slightest. He could have been across the world and it wouldn't have crossed his mind twice—something inside him wanting him to keep his focus on the wolf.

"Where are we going?" Maki asked, glancing briefly over his shoulder but it really didn't concern him—just a baseless thought hanging off his tongue.

The wolf didn't answer him, but he didn't really care for one anyway.

Even with the cold wind nipping at his cheeks and the sting to his eyes he for some reason didn't care. Nothing mattered at this moment.

What would become of him though? It didn't matter as long as he was with this creature—this bizarre creature that stalked the night.

The dark sky presented itself with stars of brilliant twinkles of light—making Maki lose focus on time. Maki had always stared at the stars when he was upset about anything, the little diamonds making him wonder what was truly out there. What laid behind the twinkles of candle light? He wanted to know.

Tall and bold trees soon blocked the view of his perfect sky, leaving him back on the sight of the wolf.

The wolf.

What kind of person would chase a beast through the night and even go with it?

Maki would.

He would do anything to be near this wolf. To be near such a creature, though the reason behind it was untellable. The fur beneath his fingers was soft—softer than anything he had ever felt before. Warm too. How could it be so warm and comforting?

Lights ahead were pulling away Maki's attention, lights that hung from trees in a soft green glow. The lights outlined the area in a dim shimmer, pulling insects to the strange color. Behind the dark trees emerged at least half a dozen pairs of yellow orbs—eyes.

The shadow of the beings stepped into the green glow, the creatures being that of the same as the creature he was riding. He found the area to be warm, as the snow stopped falling forward towards him. How could that be? It was so cold just minutes ago but now it was warm?

The wolves in front of him sparked something of fear inside him, a fear that wasn't present when he found the wolf he was riding. Reality came crushing forward, and panic rattled in his bones, panic of the beasts in front of him. Had he gone crazy? Had he imagined the voices in his head? Had he imagined such a warm and protective feeling from the creature underneath him?

The wolves threw their heads back and howled in unison—a sight rare to the humans eyes.

With the ring of their unison resonating in his ears, Maki suddenly felt tired, being pulled into a land where the stars would disappear. As the howls rung, Maki burned that glimpse of the scene in front of him—wolves of different accords staring at him with yellow penetrating  eyes. Looking into his soul and mind—and what a scary moment it was for him.

Even though the screams he had heard were no longer present, he still could feel—even as he was fading into the realm of sleep that something had happened—something so terrible that it would it haunt him until he woke again.

The warmth beneath him was comforting, and just as the howls faded away so did Maki's consciousness—leaving him in a place where the stars wouldn't shine as brightly.