A Passion for Cleaning

Start from the beginning

More targets flew up to her, all now moving in their own slicing motions. Meiling struck each with hits and kicks, each making up shear force with unbelievable agility. She never seemed to put more power into an attack needed than to simply keep the target moving, though Lee assumed she more than possessed the strength to destroy each of them completely as they came. She watched Meiling performed, mesmerized by the artistic display of control and precision. Meiling centered herself after each attack into a central pose. Lee recognized that Meiling was meditating, even while practicing a form of martial arts, though she doubted she could ever maintain so much focus. She admired Meiling more and more by everything she learned about her, each discovery a beautiful stroke in itself that painted something unforeseeably breathtaking.

Lee carefully made her way to the back door. She slid outside to get a better view, hoping not to disturb Meiling’s concentration. Step by step, Lee watched Meiling palm and kick her dangling, uprooted targets back and forth, each coming back down to her in unpredictable angles. As the wind picked up, the faster she moved until her body was alive in one seemingly fluid motion of defence. Not once did she allow more than one foot atop the stump, bearing all her weight and balance. Lee stepped forward. She passed by a calm fountain and leafy garden. Lee walked by a set of stocks that Meiling had long since crafted herself in replica of the stocks found in the village square. Lee inched closer and closer to Meiling. Her foot came down onto a patch of dried leaves that sounded with a loud crunch.

Lee stopped. Meiling’s head shook as her eyes found focus on Lee in the yard with her. For a brief moment, her concentration had been lost. Meiling ducked one swinging target that nearly struck her across her cheek. With full force, she began to take out the rest as they came down. Her palms had become quick punches. Her kicks flowed through with her whole leg’s worth of power. Meiling made quick work to dispatch the targets one by one into broken chunks across the training ground. With the last target, her kick swung around her entire body, sending the potato exploding into flakes and pasty shrapnel. Meiling steadied her stance, regaining her balance as a stiff statue in prayer, before looking up to Lee.

“You didn’t get any on you, did you?” Meiling asked. Lee stared back, her jaw slacked in awe.

“I… that was…” Lee stammered. She lifted her hands up to her mouth. Her eyes grew wide. “Oh my, I am so sorry I messed you up. I really shouldn’t have been out here. I’m so sorry.” Meiling chuckled. She set her other foot flat onto the stump before jumping down.

“It’s okay,” Meiling said with a smile. “I should have been more aware. I’m not used to having people here after all, so that’s good practice.” Meiling wiped her face clear of sweat and shards of potato.

“What was that?” Lee asked. “That was amazing.”

“Well, I started making potatoes for dinner tonight, and you can see what a terrible cook I am,” Meiling said. Lee laughed a playful giggle, bringing her hand up to her mouth.

“No, but seriously…” Lee said, lost for words. Meiling reached up into her hair and pulled out the ribbon, letting down her short, bloodwood locks.

“I practice Kung Fu,” Meiling said. She walked through a muddy patch in the dirt.

“That was Kung Fu?” Lee asked.

“What? That?” Meiling asked. “Oh, no. That’s a Shaolin form of martial arts based around Qigong principles of qi and meditation. My brother taught me when I was little. We would practice and spar all the time until he left for better things.” Meilling looked down for a moment before smirking back at Lee. “I guess he got tired of me beating him every time.” Lee looked back at Meiling and rubbed her arm.