chapter one| we're all in this together.

━before the summer

before the summer

ANGELA TURNER stood behind a  brick wall along with her brother and her two best friends waiting for Cesar to hurry up with their beers but he was taking way too long and the turner girl had a very low patience. Angela huffed gazing at the party that was full of teenagers in front of her and silently wondered if that would be them next year.

"Okay, I don't think he made it. I told you guys I should've gone in there. After all I am the oldest." She pointed out, recalling earlier to when she suggested getting the drinks before Cesar even did but both Jamal and Ruby quickly shut down that idea saying that she was a girl and that it was dangerous inside. Monse nodded agreeing with Angela.

"She's right. Do you see him? I don't see him." Her voice shook with nervousness as the four all scouted the crowd for the Latino boy but still seeing nothing but hormonal teenagers. "None of us should've done this. I knew this was a bad idea. I can feel it." Jamal said, his anxiety getting the best of him whenever the group did something risky and slightly stupid like right now for example.

Ruby butted in from the left of Angela, "Relax Angie and pop a zannie, J. We can't see him 'cause he's being stealth." Angela rolled her eyes at the boy's comment, "You're right! When has Cesar ever disappointed us?" She said, sarcastically, thinking back to just a couple of months ago when Cesar accidentally threw a basketball into her birthday cake or two years ago when he got gum stuck in Ruby's hair and he had to shave it bald which didn't exactly look good on him. Although, Angela had to admit it was pretty funny though.

"Mmm, fourth grade. Kickball tourney. We lost." Jamal answered, seriously, not hearing the sarcasm in his sister's voice. "Only 'cause I picked the kid with no skills." A voice suddenly piped up from behind them and the four all turned around to see that it was Cesar Diaz with three cans of beer in his hands and a bottle of sprite. "And I'd pick you again. Loyalty trumps victory, compa." He tossed a can to Jamal and then stood up on the large crate they were all standing on to pass Ruby and Monse their own.

"And here's your special drink m'lady." Angela chuckled, "Thanks." She was less irritated now that she had her favorite soda in the whole entire world. "I still can't believe this is going to be us next year." Angela sighed in awe peering at the teenagers who were either grinding, drinking, or smoking weed. And the five all took a sip of their drink at the same time only to let out sounds of disgust a few seconds later.

"Oh my god! Did someone spike this?" Angela yelled, tasting some type of alcoholic substance on her tongue and she bent down to throw the bottle in the trashcan nearby. "Chill a little, princesa. You're always so uptight. You need to learn how to loosen up a little." Angela scoffed at Ruby who was currently wearing a smirk on his face. "Okay just for your information Dr. McShorty. I can be so chill." Angela retorted, whilst doing the wave with her arms and Ruby and the others chuckled at her usual antics.