The Intervention

Mel stood in his greasy white shirt over the prep-tabel rife with cross-contamination,(It was a miracle he was ever ServSafe certified) cursing as he made his 'world-famous chilli' known statewide across Arizona. He was frustrated his 'favorite' waitress Flo was not waiting on customers.

"Alice, where's Flo!?" Mel shouted from the back room.

"She's in the lady's room Mel! - oh sorry, Henry." Alice answered back, startled by the outburst she almost spilled Henry's coffee all over his uniform.

It's the third time this week Flo has been taking her sweet time in the restroom. It's really getting in the way of business! And worse yet - she's beem late three days for her shift. Time is money! '. Mel thought to himself, as sweat dripped from the tip of his nose into chopped beef - already two days past 'use by date'.

"I don't know Viera. Flo hasn't been on her best game lately. Do you think something is wrong? I mean, she's always coming in late with a headache - and mid-shift seems to be ignoring customers to spend a lot if time in the restroom."

"Maybe she's been eating a lot of prunes to stay regular, Alice." Viera replied in her usual air-headed style. If there had been an audience, it would've broke out in laughter.

Hearing the two waitress chit-chatting out in the lobby only pissed Mel off more, as he chopped the onions without Ambidex food-service gloves.

"Enough talking girls! Viera! take over Flo's section - and when you see her tell her to come see me...It's time I gave her a piece of my fucking mind!"

Hearing that made Viera put her fingers in her ears; causing Alice to jump in and save the day.

"Mel, would you please not use that type of language in front of our 'guest'?" Alice said in a polite yet stern voice.

"It's my damn diner! If they don't like it - they can hit the door!" Mel shouted with an devilish grin on his face.

A few minutes passed and Henry left. The three truckers from Flagstaff were antsy and kept asking Alice and Viera where Florence Jean Casselberry was, they were wondering what time to meet her at the trailer park where she lived. Some of the comments were so blue, the innocent Viera wanted to wash their mouths out with power-wash soap and clean her ears with sanitizer water.

You see, Flo had a well earned reputation around town and the truck-stops for her friendliness, and Flo and the truckers were very vocal about it. It was no secret.

Alice walks over to the restroom door and knocks. "Flo honey, you ok in there? Your 'friends' are askin' about you."

The knock at the door startled Flo, as she tried to put her bottle of Jack Daniel's back in her hiding place. In the trash can beneath the wadded up toilet paper, bloody Tampons and Maxi-Pads. She tried to fix her high hair after splashing some water on her face.

"Alright honey, just give me a moment doll." Flo said as she tried to straighten her composure in the mirror - after popping a stick of Big Red chewing gum in her mouth to mask the smell of liquor.

Flo finally comes out and joins the girls, Alice notices she's stumbling a bit, but doesn't think too much about it.

"Thanks Viera, I'll take these boys now." Flo said while chewing on her gum. Viera was happy she no longer had to listen to the truckers. If she had to listen to it a moment longer, she would of ran right out to the nearest church to cleanse her soul...there was no sanitizer water strong enough at Mel's Diner to do that.

The truckers were grabbing and swatting at Flo wondering if she was still on for the night. She just laughed and said: don't you worry boys, ol' Flo'll be good and ready aftet I get off shift...and I'll have them BLTs in a moment Y'all.