Chapter Thirty

Comincia dall'inizio

Brinn says, “Then, let’s start at the front of the village and then just follow the fence around the perimeter, first.”

We agree and begin walking. The fence is only as big as it needs to be. Piper and I help Brinn limp around and together we can just squeeze through the spaces in between the buildings and the fence.

By the time we are halfway around, we have seen nothing. The grass in this area isn’t as trampled down as it is in the center of the village and brushes the tops of my knees.

We are just turning the corner to go around the third side when a high-pitched voice calls out, “Stop or we’s a-goin’ ta a-killya!”

Giggles float out from behind the nearest building. Rose pops out from behind the building, wielding a small twig fiercely, “I’s be a-stayin’ still if I’s were ya.”

Another little girl peeks her head out from behind the building. She has light, light wispy blonde hair that falls to her chin.

Rose sends a look at the girl, “Well, a-come on Marrielle, we’s a-need ta attack!”

 “I’s don’t a-know, my mama a-said that if I’s ever a-see strangers, I shouldn’t a-talk to them. I’s should a-run away!”

 “Yer mom already a-saw these young-uns.”

Concern is still plastered over Marrielle’s face, “I’s don’t a-know…”

Rose’s shoulders slump, “Fine. I’ll a-do it myself.”

Rose turns back to face us, “I’s be a-wantin’ ta a-see yer hands.”

We obediently put our hands outward. A smile tugs at my lips. I’m thankful for the distraction. At least I get to delay looking for Bridget and Canton for a little while.

Rose points the twig at us, “I’s be a-havin’ a knife and I’s a-know how to use it!”

Piper feigns worry, “What are we going to do? Can we escape? Please don’t hurt us.”

Marrielle whispers from the side of the building, “Ya talk weird.”

Piper grins and says, “I’ve been told that by Rose too.”

Rose giggles and Marrielle cracks a smile.

Marielle asks, “Why’s do ya a-talk like that?”

Rose gravely whispers, “They’s be a-from the Com-plux-es.”

 “What’d those be?”

Rose shrugs, “I’s don’t a-know.”

Rose turns back to address us, “If ya say one more word, I’s be a-drivin’ this knife a-right through yer throat.”

I start to say, “But what if…”

Rose runs at me with the twig. Rose isn’t tall enough to reach my neck. Instead, she lightly slides the twig across my shirt over my stomach.

I pretend to be hurt. I bend over and begin to moan.

Rose and Marrielle burst into giggles.

Marrielle takes a couple steps away from the building and says, “Can I a-try?”

Rose gingerly hands Marrielle the twig, “Ya be a-careful with this. It’d be a weapon, ya know.”

Marrielle laughs, “I’s will.”

Marrielle charges Piper, ‘slicing’ Piper’s knee open. Piper grips her knee and cries dramatically out.

From inside the village, a voice calls out, “Marrielle? Rose? Does that be ya? What’d be ya doin’?”