Chapter 12: Attack on Asgard

Kathryn flew at top speed across the skies, with just one clear purpose. Nari had said there was a senate meeting today. The senate building was deep under the palace, only one level above the shield generator, and if she had to bet, she knew that would be the first place the elves struck.

As it was, she barely made it inside the palace before the golden dome was completed. Like a witch on her broom, she dove down to the ground level and raced inside. If the senate building was full of senators, they were all in terrible danger. And she had to save them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nari yawned. Today’s session had to be the longest in the history of the universe. The court had been on break when he went to visit Kathryn and take her to Lorelei. The voice of the chairman droned on and on about the virtues of passing a new law that would improve the sewer system of the capital city. Nari didn’t have the least bit of interest in sewers, and he could feel himself nodding off. Why hadn’t he ditched this session like Kathryn had?

Suddenly, the roof of the senate building began to shake. Dust poured from the ceiling and a loud rumble filled the room. “Is it an earthquake?” Senator Nelladottir asked. Her blue eyes were wide with fright.

“No,” Nari chuckled. “We do not have tectonic plates in Asgard. The entire realm is supported by columns of pure diamond. Earthquakes cannot exist here because the columns do not move.” He took her hand, in pure elation at what was happening.

“What is it then?” she asked as another loud crash shook the building once more.

Again, Nari laughed. “We are under attack.”

Senator Nelladottir fainted. Nari, however, was the opposite of afraid. He was ecstatic with joy at the end to his boredom and a chance to finally shed blood. If he had to guess, it would be Dark Elf blood. As the realm went to Hel around him, he laughed with glee.

The senators ran and scattered like ants, but Nari smiled at the sky, catching the delightful dust on his face. There was a great clattering in the hallway, and at least a dozen Dark Elves swarmed the senate. By then, Nari was the only senator left. He knew his odds weren’t good, but now he had the chance to fight and die. He wanted blood. Needed blood. Craved blood. Vaguely, he wondered where Kathryn had gone once the attack started, but at the moment he did not care. Drawing his sword, he ran straight at the army of elves, crying out like a madman all the while.

He fought like a devil. The elves could not match his power, except for one. They had brought a Kursed, huge, hulking monsters that were more powerful than even beserkers. When he had finished the other elves, he turned to face it. This one looked sort of like a Minotaur with its huge, horned head and bulging muscles. As the monster loomed above him, he grinned. “Is that all?” he asked cheekily. “What is the phrase Parker taught me on Midgard? Oh, yes. I remember. Come at me, bro!”

The Kursed attacked. It lunged after Nari, swinging its vile arms after him. However, that outcome had been probable. Nari was ready for it, and leapt out of the way. His sword found purchase in one of the cracks in the thing’s armor and cut deeply into its arm. Nari howled in triumph, but he had forgotten the advantage the monster had over him: Nari thrived on probable outcomes and predictability. The Kursed, however, were known for their unpredictability.

Howling in rage, it twisted down and around, and the sword, caught in its armor, was ripped from Nari’s grasp. His pupils dilated in fear. In shock, he backed away from the thing, which had pulled the sword from its shoulder and now wielded it as its own.

That definitely hadn’t been on Nari’s list of probable outcomes. Before he could think to cast a spell or run, the Kursed charged forward and shoved its sword through Nari’s stomach.