The Hint Of Forever

Chapter 2

I was working at the clinic, foggy night. It was a late June Wednesday. School was over so I decided to assist the nurses on a late shift. Sometimes I just enjoy being at the hospital, alone in my own world. Attempting to tune out the world in a place smelling of rubbing alcohol. Not a lot of patients were coming in today so it was calmer than most days.

After I finished helping a nurse with a little girl who stapled her fingers, the coffee machine broke. Bad for me because it was around eleven so I needed something to stay awake. So I was there with gloomy eyes stumbling in the hall carrying a boxes of gloves in a cart. Smiling at the doctors who passed by. In the ER, only one little curtain was closed. I left the boxes by the desk where a nurse handed me a cup of tea. I took it and drank all of it in three sips.

That's when the doctor behind the curtain asked for help. Then the patient said,

"Please, I'm fine!" It was a He.

Little did I know he was my forever, but now back to the story.

When I swung open the curtain I bumped into him. I guess he stood up and I opened the curtain at that very moment. He had green and brown eyes that held me speechless.

"I'm- sorry." I say stuttering.

He brushes his brown hair back and sits back down in the bed.

"Oh great. Uh, can you bring me a cast from the B room. Thanks." The doctor orders. I nod and leave. I get the cast and return. The doctor unbandages the boy's arm. This time his parents are here. Well only his mother. I say hello and observe the doctor place the cast on the boys' left arm. He stares at me and makes me blush. He's cute, his smile exposed his perfect teeth. Shiny under the hospital light. His lips are a shade of pink, which look perfect on his tanned smooth skin.

"That was quick." Says the mom. I smile and lead them to the desk.

"Cassidy, your shift's over!" The nurse says.

"Alright thanks." I say and sign out as the boy and the mom leave the ER. I have to walk three blocks to the bus.

The chilly air sways my hair and the cars light my path. The streets are awkwardly empty today. Then there's a car's horn behind me. I jump startled and look at my mom's truck. She beeps again as I open the passenger door.

"Hey! How was it today?" Mom asks.

"It was fine." I say. Mom looks at me curiously.

"What? You okay?" She questions.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I lie.

Actually I was thinking about the boy. I wish I could've asked for his name or something. He is a stranger, but something about him attracted me. I couldn't explain it. Me and my friends call it the case of the Intense Crush. But I am not convinced if I do have a crush on him. I mean I don't even know the guy. It was just something in his eyes that I can't get over. Like when you have an immediate connection with something.

Only this was better.

The drive home was short. I took a shower and laid in bed just wondering into the pink ceiling over me. Then it hits me, the boy had a cast, so it has to come off sometime. And when he returns to the hospital, I'll be waiting.

So then I call the nurse.

"Hey. It's Cassidy. I was wondering how long it takes for an arm cast to do its thing."I say.

" Well it depends. Anywhere from three to eight weeks." The nurse says.

"Alright. Thanks. See you tomorrow."

"Okay. Bye." And she hangs up.

I turn off the light and try to sleep. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, it's summer so I'm grateful there's no school. I have to get more badges and have a blood draw.

I honesty don't like school. I just want to go to a music school. Even if I'm still a junior. I don't need science or PE or drama. I have four instruments and a recording software in my laptop. Once in my freshman year, I ditched in third period to go to music. My parents weren't even mad. They are very supportive and they want me to make music. But I got a day of detention.

When I wake up, it's sunny outside. The birds are singing in the trees, kids in scooters pass by. Lovely morning so far. I take a long shower before I spend an hour looking for my pink vans. I am a T-shirt and jeans girl. Today I wear a purple blouse and blue jeans, nothing extravagant.

"Morning mom. Did dad leave already?" I say in the kitchen where my mom prepares a plate of mini waffles.

"Hey good morning sweetie. Your father had to go to Chicago. I know, it was a bit unexpected. You know his business trips." Mom responds.

"Yeah. Thanks. What time is my appointment?" I ask pouring myself a glass of apple juice.

"Ten thirty. Where is Rochelle?" Mom asks searching the house, her voice sounds thickly.

"She's taking a shower. These are delicious mom." I say as I finish my first waffle. After

breakfast we drove to Good Samaritan Hospital and waited forty minutes in the waiting room. I was getting into a diet article in a magazine when the nurse called me in. My doctor, Dr. Patricia Lemmons. Fantastic lady, very humble and pationate. She retrieved the needle and the elbow rest for the blood draw. I can't stand looking at blood. I don't faint, but it just makes me sick. I feel the pinch of the needle and look away. She finishes up and guides us to the pharmacy. Empty, so I receive my pills quickly. When I was about to leave through the doors to the parking lot, I feel the pain again. The breakdown.

"M-o-m." I struggle to say. She looks at me and redeems a shock badge from my purse. Then runs at me where I'm pressing on my chest and endeavor to breathe. The world mutes and freezes around me. That is the feeling I have whenever that happens. I see mom stick the badge and sits me down on the sidewalk edge. After a few moments, I begin to recuperate. I start to gradually breathe normally and stand up when I can feel my legs.

"Thanks." I say to my mom. She smiles and walks to the car for a bottle of water.

Unaware of, I stand up and turn around to see the boy. I freeze. Did he see my breakdown? Hope not, that's embarrassing. What is he doing here.

"I guess nurses get sick too." He says jokingly. Then winks at me, triggering a small smile on my face.

"I'm sorry you had to see that." I say, still shocked of our encounter. I pick up my purse and signal my mom to wait a bit longer.

"It's okay. What are you doing here?" He asks picking up my pill bag. He looks at it and says,

"I came for medicine too."

"How's your arm doing?" I ask.

"It's fine." He replies. The awkwardness of his stare makes me speak.

"What? Is there something on my face?" I ask.

"The thing on your face is called beauty. And your angelic smile captures my eyes." He says.

I laugh. A laugh that is not sarcastic nor sincere.

"Please. The thing on my face is called acne and oil." I snap.

"No. And if it is, it doesn't deserve to be there." He says. Then writes a phone number on my hand.

"You know what to do." He says and leaves on a skateboard.

I stand there with my mouth nearly open from bewilderment until my mom honks. I wasn't aware that she pulled up to the sidewalk.

"Who was that honey?" She asks. I don't know what to say.

"Uh, a friend from university class." I tell her.

"Oh. You feeling better?"

"Yeah. Thank you." I say.

I stare at the number, making sure my mom doesn't notice.

And I stare at it until we arrive home. Smiling at his words before he left.

And I didn't even ask for his name.... boy.