23 : talks and understandings

Aniya paced in front of the door, a small sigh escaping her lips. She had been ignoring everyone for 2 weeks now, including Ryland, and now she stood at his door about to break up with him.

Nothing Aniya was doing made any sense, but for some reason in her head it was the obvious way of  action. She let out a shaky breathe while she knocked on the door, then allowed herself into the dorm room. She was forever grateful that Ryland's roomate, Theo, spent most of his time working and she didn't have to deal with him.

Ryland had his gaze focused on his laptop with earphones on, and Aniya knew that it meant he was hard at work on a project. Regardless, she tapped his foot with a shaky hand, causing him to look up at her.

He took of his headphones instantly, shoving his laptop to the side as well as he stood up and engulfed her in a hug. "Where the fuck have you been?"

She let out a shaky laugh as she hugged him back, "Figuring things out. I'm sorry for flaking on you but I needed to clear my head."

She sat down on the bed after their embrace, and he followed in her lead. "What did you have to figure out exactly?"

"I don't know how to explain it without sounding like a bitch." She said honestly, and Ryland let out a small chuckle. "I think I know what it is."

"Please be wrong because if you're right then I'll feel like the worst person ever."

"Ani, I kinda knew I was a hook up for you. I was out with Jasmine last week and she let it slip out that you had gotten feelings jumbled." He let out a puff of air, "I knew this entire time you weren't all in with me, and that's okay."

"But its not!" Aniya exclaimed, "I used you to try and get over my feelings for someone else and now here I am just going to him instead of staying with you."

"Look, you're one of my best friends. Always have been, to be honest. I fell for you some time last year and the feelings never went away. You didn't use me, I fell back to you even though I knew you liked Dacre because I hoped you'd see the potential our relationship had. It was stupid of me to do that."

He reached over to grab one of her hands, giving it a squeeze. "We're clearly not good for each other, seeing as we each had an agenda coming into this relationship. That's not what a healthy relationship is, Ani, and we can't keep it up because it'll only hurt us."

"When did you become so poetic?" Aniya mumbled, wiping at the tears that has fell from her eyes throughout Ryland's speech. He let out a soft chuckle, "When I became a writing major."

She reached over and wrapped her arms around his neck, "You're such a good person."

"You deserve happiness, don't forget that." He began, wrapping his arms around her waist. "If he makes you happy, don't let your fear stop you."

"I can't believe you're basically telling me to go to him." Aniya said with a laugh, pulling out of their embrace. "I just broke up with you, you should be spiteful and angry."

Ryland let out a loud laugh, "There's really no point in being angry when I knew your heart was somewhere else."

"My heart was with you though, Ry. Don't think that it wasn't because a part of me really did want you and I could have fallen for you."

Ryland reached up to cup one of Aniya's cheeks, a small, sad smile on his lips. "I wanted all of you, Ani. Not just a part. He's had all of you since high school, there's no competition."

Aniya pressed a soft kiss to his cheek. "You're truly an incredible guy. I hope you keep that in mind."

He grinned, "Thank you. Now, go find your happiness."

They said their good-bye's as Aniya headed out, her head and thought process much clearer than it was when she woke up this morning. She had decided she would speak to Dacre tomorrow, but for now she made her way home and sat down on the sofa.

She curled up into herself, pulling out her phone. She was contemplating sending a text to Dacre or not, the bigger part of her wanting to send out a text. With a small sigh, she complied to her brain's decision and opened up Dacre's contact.