The Harvest

We were surrounded by vampires and I pulled out a dagger with wood inlaid to the metal attacking as many of the vampires as I could. I heard a vampire roar and Willow screaming and ran towards the sound and got their in time to see Buffy taking care of the vampire who was attacking my friend. I left to continue killing the vampires around us before seeing Xander being dragged away by two vampires.

"Leave him alone!" I ordered drawing them to me. I high punched one and side kicked the other. I used my dagger to stake one vampire then the other letting them fall dust on the ground before going to Xander with Buffy and Willow.

"Xander, are you okay?" Willow asked him.

"Man, something hit me." Xander said rubbing the back of his head.

"Where's Jesse?" Buffy asked us and I looked around for the boy.

"I don't know! They surrounded us." Willow told her.

"That girl grabbed him and took off." Xander said.

"Which way?" Buffy and I asked him quickly.

"I don't know." He said. I looked down and sighed as Buffy stood straight up and slowly scanned the cemetery.

"Jesse!" she whispered.

In the library my dad spun the globe as he told Willow and Xander the truth of the world we lived in.

"This world is older than any of you know." Dad told them stopping the globe from spinning. "Contrary to popular mythology, it did not begin as a paradise. For untold eons demons walked the Earth. They made it their home, their... their Hell. But in time they lost their purchase on this reality. The way was made for mortal animals, for, for man. All that remains of the old ones are vestiges, certain magicks, certain creatures..."

"And vampires." Buffy added holding an ice pack to her elbow.

"Okay, this is where I have a problem. See, because we're talking about vampires. We're having a talk with vampires in it." Xander said freaking out a little.

"Isn't that what we saw last night?" Willow asked.

"No. No, th-those weren't vampires, those were just guys in thundering need of a facial. Or maybe they had rabies. It could have been rabies. A-and that guy turning to dust? Just a trick of light." Buffy said causing us to give her a strange look. "That's exactly what I said the first time I saw a vampire. Well, after I was done with the screaming part."

"Oh, I, I need to sit down." Willow said from her chair.

"You are sitting down." Buffy reminded her.

"Oh. Good for me." She said.

"So vampires are demons?" Xander asked.

"Not really." I answered.

"The books tell the last demon to leave this reality fed off a human, mixed their blood. He was a human form possessed, infected by the demon's soul. He bit another, and another, and so they walk the Earth, feeding... Killing some, mixing their blood with others to make more of their kind." Dad explained.

"They aren't demons or humans. They walk that narrow road between the two races." I said.

"They are waiting for the animals to die out, and the old ones to return. But the Slayer is here to stop all that." Dad finished.

"And that would be a what?" Xander asked him.

"For as long as there have been vampires, there's been the Slayer. One girl in all the world, a Chosen One." Dad told them and I gave Buffy a look.