Chapter 7

It'd been about two weeks since I had awaken from my coma. I had begged my mother to let Marina stay with us, and I was on my way to her Uncle Kev's house.

My memories came back in small tid-bits. I remembered how he'd hurt her, broken her down to nothing. I remember how his touch had made her feel, how he'd made her cry. And it angered me, made me want to hurt him just as much as he'd hurt Marina.

His house was a wooden shack on the outskirts of town. I knocked on the door angrily. A pale, ghostly white, balding man answered the door. He looked dirty, greasy even. His eyes were similar to Marina's, which pissed me off even more.

"Are you Kevin Laurel?" I growled. He laughed as if our conversation was all a joke to him.

"Depends, who wants to know?" He asked half-seriously.

"Me." I spat. He frowned instantly.

"What do you want, kid?" His voice had lost all jubilance and was completely dry and flat.

"To kick your ass, you filthy son of a bitch."

"Why? I did nothing to you."

"But you did to your niece."

"She told you? That bitch." My anger boiled in my veins. It blinded my sight. The way he spoke about Marina shook me to my core. I didn't care who heard or saw, I beat the shit out of him. He was filth, disgusting filth. The lowest form of man.

My knuckles hurt with the force I was putting into my punches. He'd kicked me in my sore ribs, and I winced and doubled-over. As he tried to stand, he punched me across my nose. We kept hitting each other until I decked him in the jaw. He'd fallen and coughed, his nose dripping crimson.

"If you come near Marina, I'll kill you with my bare fucking hands." I snarled. I left his front yard, slamming the gate closed behind me.

____

My mother wasn't too happy when I came home with bruises forming on my eye and cheek. My knuckles were red and caked in dried blood.

"Zack, what happened to you?" She asked me. I sighed.

"I took care of Marina's uncle." I admitted. My mother's angry glare softened. "He deserved it."

"Hell yeah, he did." My mom agreed. "Go clean yourself up." Marina had told my mother why she needed to stay with us herself. I went into the bathroom and started to clean up the cuts on my face and looked at my bruises.

"Zack?" Marina asked me as she came into the bathroom.

"Yeah?" I said dabbing at a small cut on my cheek.

"You didn't have to do that." She whispered as she wrapped her arms around me from behind. She rested her head against my back. I placed my hands on top of her's.

"I did. It was on my mental list."

"So you do everything on your mental list?"

"Uh-huh."

"What else is on there?"

"Make Emily French toast, prove to you that you're beautiful, take you on a date, and work out."

"Why do you want to go on a date with me?"

"Because you're gorgeous, and I like you a lot." She didn't argue with me. "I'm tired. Take a nap with me?" I closed the medicine kit and took her hand in mine. I brought her hand to my lips and kissed it softly, making her giggle.