With a startled gasp, Janie stumbled back towards the bathroom. Steve tensed up, afraid he'd crossed a boundary he shouldn't have crossed, but realization quickly set in, reminding him that the ship had sailed when he knocked on her door the night before. He couldn't even really remember why he'd done it and chose to blame the rush of adrenaline caused by the serum. He wouldn't mention the fact he had walked over 10 blocks to even get to her apartment, not even to himself. 

Janie quickly placed a hand on his muscular back, reveling momentarily at the width of the man that held her while familiar memories of him saving her life rose up inside of her.

"Steve?" She began carefully, afraid of ruining the sudden rush of affection he was giving her. 

"Hmm?" He hummed, taking in the sweet smell of body wash and toothpaste that invaded his nostrils. 

"I don't want to hurt your feelings or anything, but I just showered and you really do smell bad," Janie said carefully.

"I'm sorry," he said as he let go of her, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck while he looked down at her. She smiled and pushed against his chest, before regretting the action.

"I, uh," he stammered, "wanted to ask you something."

"Okay..." Janie replied, dragging out the word as it fell from her lips.

Her stomach turned inside her and her hands began to sweat. Damn nerves.

"There's a party at the Tower tomorrow night...," he trailed off. 

"I don't think that's such a good idea," Janie mumbled as she fiddled with her fingers, "A party at the Avengers tower?"

Steve nodded and wiped his brow, "It's a celebratory thing, a lot of people will be there. I'll be there."

"I thought you weren't supposed to associate with me. Aren't you like, crossing the line right now?" Janie reminded him. 

Steve sighed, "I know what I said, but I enjoy your company. Besides, I'm the boss. I decide where the line is. And I'm sure the others would like to see you, too." 

"I don't know," she muttered, "I'm not really good at parties and I doubt any of them even remember me."

"You don't have to come if you don't want to. It's just, my way of saying thank you for patching me up, I 'spose." Steve placed a comforting hand on Janie's shoulder and squeezed it gently.

"You would have been fine without me," Janie said. 

"Maybe. Maybe not."

He began to walk towards the door, leaving the young woman contemplating her options in the center of her bedroom. Just before she heard the front door close, she called out for him.

"Rogers?"

"Yeah?"

"What time?"

"I'll pick you up at eight."