"La belle Knight," I heard Marc say as he skated up and tugged my ponytail.

"My sister is more popular here than I am," Starry joked.

"She is prettier, even if she doesn't have a quad," Marc joked, and Ms Abelard laughed. To my surprise, my brother laughed too.

"Yeah, my sister's a lot more together than I am," he said. "She's in the top ten of her class, holds down a part time job, she's in drill team and student council and a couple other clubs. I feel like a slacker." I almost passed out in surprise, but at the end of the rink Mr Warren was waving to us. Meeting time.

First was a meeting with all the skaters and their families, letting them know about how the schedules of those who probably weren't going to this Olympics would be affected and news that a couple more coaches had signed on to the rink and would be making the move with their skaters after Worlds. "We're very pleased that the center here at Duke's Crossing is proving to be so successful," Mr Warren said. Across the room, I could see Jeanne sitting by herself, frowning. She'd kept her distance from me and I was not unhappy about that. Then he congratulated the skaters on their successes in training and competition so far this season, wished them continued success for the rest of the season, and thanked the families for their support, which wrapped things up. I saw Ms Abelard talking to my parents later.

After the meeting, John came up and asked if I'd made my decision. I told him yes, that I'd elected to participate. "I'm not really surprised, but kinda am."

I looked around casually, then said quietly, "Just between the two of us?" He rolled his eyes.

"Leia, come on, it's me. Of course.'

"I made a trade." And I explained.

"Starry's really lucky," he said after hearing it.

"Yes," I agreed, and he smiled. "But he's so single-focus, I don't want him to end amateur skating and not have any options. It's just opportunities that will be offered, he'll have to work on them."

"It sounds so typically you, Leia," he said affectionately. "But I'm still kind of surprised." So I told him about the stuffed animal.

"It's kind of embarrassing to admit how much it helps," I said, blushing a little. "But for whatever reason, I think he's trying."

"I wish I'd thought of it myself," he said. "It's a small thing, but if it helps..." I nodded, then we changed the subject.

All in all, I was glad to get back to school on Monday. I valued the normality of it more than ever. And aside for the gym being closed for the foreseeable future, everything pretty much was normal. We suspended drill team practices until after Christmas break, but everyone was to do her own work, keeping up cardio, strength, and flexibility. We had one more week of studying until finals. I was really relieved to have finals over this year; it had been a harder semester because I was taking calculus, physics, and earth science independent study. And while I wasn't dropping any of those classes, I was going to have a study hall next semester. I felt like I'd earned it, even if it felt like slacking off.

It was still like the Spanish Inquisition at home; every night I had to answer questions about school and how I was feeling, and Grandpa checked in more than usual. I still had it easier than some of my friends; John and Paul, for example, were having a harder time prying free. But I was grateful for Christmas break, which was also normal, skating at the park, hanging out with my friends. Grandpa got a Christmas tree and I helped him decorate it, even though I put out the little tree I'd made the year before on my dresser. It was still cute. This year for dinner Grandpa and I wrapped a pork loin in pancetta and had roasted veggies, a fruit salad, mashed potatoes and roasted sweet potatoes, dressing, cranberry sauce and rolls, and for dessert we made an eggnog cake. My brother liked it fine but not a lot, which was why we chose it. He has a terrible sweet tooth and now was not the time for him to have to worry about his weight. I got really nice presents this year; clothing from my parents, including some skirts, a black trench coat-style raincoat from my grandpa, and, most surprisingly, from my brother, a Chinese phrasebook I could use at the Olympics (my passport had arrived the day before Christmas Eve and my picture didn't even look awful) and a purple letterman's sweater with black ribbing at the waist, sleeve cuffs, and around the front and neck of the cardigan, shiny black buttons and white stripes on the sleeves for when I got my letter for drill team. I was speechless, and he said he got the sweater rather than a jacket because it didn't get as cold here in California, and I could wear it even before the letters were earned. It was really nice and warm.

The weather was rainy and chilly, so I didn't spend much time at the park. I picked up a few extra shifts and created a composite list of stuff I'd need for college life; I thought I'd hold off on things like appliances until I accepted some place. But things like a mattress cover (in case of bed bugs), sheets, blankets, towels, pillows, and device chargers were universal. Over break I picked out a set of towels, some extra washcloths, mattress cover and pad, blanket, and a second set of sheets at Target; they had nice stuff that wasn't that expensive, and great Christmas sales. My college stash at the top of my closet was growing. I hung out with my friends at their houses or coffee shops, we went to movies and had fun. It was a big relief to have all this time with them; what with our heavier course loads last semester (I wasn't the only one who'd bulked up my schedule) and all, we hadn't spent as much time together and I missed them.

John was off his crutches and rehabbing his ankle, which was great news, but he still wasn't going to be able to skate at Nationals, and it would be tight up to the Olympics. We got our class schedules, and I was taking the second semester of everything but psychology, which I'd traded out for study hall. We had a team party over the break, and some of the girls who had graduated last year came too, and told us about the colleges they were going to and what they were doing. That was fun and interesting, and it brought student life into focus a little more clearly. All I'd been worried about to that point was admission and what major to choose. Now I had more things to consider. The girls who came to the party had all stayed in-state, so their lives could be my future too. A couple of the girls, hearing that I'd applied to their schools, told me to keep in touch and let them know if I decided to go there. It was nice, both the sentiment and the idea that there was somebody I could talk to about a specific college.

School started up just as I was starting to get bored. The gym was still under repair, but the basketball teams were practicing over at Metro and would have their games there until the gym was done. We were allowed to practice drill in the theater, which was nice even though the stage was smaller than a gym. It beat the heck out of practicing outside; it was cold and drizzly most days, and while we had the clear raincoats to wear, nobody really liked them. My lettermans sweater was a big hit and other girls asked for the place where my brother had ordered it. He seemed pleased both that I liked the sweater and that others wanted one too.

Shortly after that, the National Championship was held in Boston. John and Paul and I watched both nights at the library. As expected, my brother won, and the national team for the Olympics was made. John, Starry, and a guy who trained in Massachusetts, Andrew Faber, were on the team. "I know everybody said John was a lock, but I was still nervous," I confessed, and John smiled.

"I was too," Paul admitted.

"Ye of little faith," John said loftily. "Now if my ankle just cooperates, I'm set." Rehab wasn't going as fast as he'd hoped and he was worried that he wouldn't have the stamina to complete all his jumps; his programs were very challenging.

"At least there haven't been major setbacks," I said, and he nodded.

With that out of the way, Grandpa and I planned our trip. He'd gotten us business-class seats on the flights, which were nicer than coach (not that I had a frame of reference, but research showed more leg room and nicer amenities on this airline), a nice suite for the family at the hotel, and although Mom and Dad were also going, they were doing their own things too, so it was as if we had three family clusters: Starry, Mom and Dad, and Grandpa and me, and the three clusters would intersect only occasionally, because Starry was going first, of course, staying in the Olympic village, marching in the Opening Ceremony, then Mom and Dad in time for the team competition, and lastly Grandpa and me for the second week. I was secretly glad, because I thought I'd have more fun with Grandpa. He planned a couple of trips on days when we weren't watching anything but wouldn't tell me what they were. I was really looking forward to going, and I'd spoken to my teachers, who were excited for my opportunity and would work with me in terms of assignments and any tests or quizzes. I couldn't wait. And Dad surprised me one night, coming home with luggage for me--a suitcase with very sturdy wheels (I read in the product information that came with it that I could replace the wheels with skateboard ones if they wore out, which made me smile) and a carry-on bag that could carry my purse, books for the flight, and all my friends told me to pack a change of clothes and carry toiletries in case something happened to my suitcase, so I was set.

I couldn't wait.

Dark Nightजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें