Chapter Sixteen.

Ella was sitting behind her large desk in the main room of the office when her sister walked in, leaning up against the half wall in front of the desk.

"Morning," She beamed.

"Morning, shouldn't you be in school?" Ella asked, glancing up at her.

Her sister rolled her eyes.

"Half day so I thought I would stop by and see if Rex wanted to take me to lunch."

"He's really busy today Evie."

Evie was only fifteen years old but living with Ella full time after their parent's death. She was a good kid, good grades never got in trouble and almost always did her chores, almost.

When their parents died Evie had been thirteen and Rex had almost instantly stepped up to help Ella get her settled. He found a house for them that was in Ellas price range and spent an entire Saturday helping them move. Since then he had been an active part of Evie's life.

"Okay, I guess you can take me to eat then," Evie said, snapping her gum.

"Hey, Evie. What's up?" Rex asked as he walked down the hall, tossing a folder on Ella's desk.

"Well, I got out of school early so I came to see if you would be interested in buying me lunch."

"I could probably go for a nice, thick, juicy burger." He teased.

"Yeah? and you might also die before your forty eating that shit." Evie shot back.

"Language," Ella scolded.

"Let me get my coat and apparently my wallet," Rex said.

He walked away and Evie leaned further towards Ella.

"Are you coming too?"

"No, I have to work. Someone needs to keep this place operating," Ella said.

"Come on El, have lunch with us."

"I can't I'm busy," Ella replied, not looking up.

"You're always busy."

"Come on Ella, lunch," Rex called moving back down the hall.

"I can't sir, I have too much to do."

"I will wait and for the love of God stop calling me sir, I've known you since you were in highschool and you've worked here eight years."

Ella gave him an exasperated look as she finally glanced up, she was swamped in closings today and lunch was something best spent working at her desk.

"Come on," he leaned forward snatching the phone cord and pulling it from the wall, putting it in his pocket.

"Really!?" Ella demanded.

"Really, let's go." He motioned to the door with his head.

Ella stood and began pulling on her coat while Evie beamed at Rex like he was some kind of hero

"Can we take the bike?" Evie asked.

"Well, if Ella says it's okay." He agreed.

"El, please?"

"I hate that bike, they're death traps," Ella said.

"Please? please?" Evie begged gripping Ella's arm as she approached.

"Fine, I'll follow in the car."

Evie was gone in a second sprinting down the hall and out of the building towards Rex's motorcycle.Rex laughed glancing at Ella who shook her head.